Damp driver's side carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damp driver's side carpet

Alright so, I have a typical e30 problem, my driver's side footwell is really wet. It was like this when I bought the car last week. After extensive research most people said check the sunroof drain tubes, checked them and the fronts are draining fine. It was raining today so I took the opportunity to check if water was leaking in through the door or window, those are sealed solid. Another thing people said to check was the elephant trunk on the passengers side, if this was clogged, how could that soak the driver's side? When I took mine out it was clogged solid, water was not getting through there, cleared it out and now it's good to go. Could that have been my problem? Also, the carpet doesn't smell like coolant, I also took a paper towel and soaked some of it up and there was no color to it. I would like to hear from some people who have had this problem and have found the solution, thanks!

Also Interested, I have the same issue.
    F80 M3 Alpine
    E10 Fjord Blue 2002
    E28 Blackish 535i
    E21 Silver 320i
    Disco1 98 4.6
    ~~~~~~
    E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
    E30 325i SOLD
    E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
    E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
    sigpic

Comment

is there a leak from your brake or clutch cylinders? Brake fluid is clear too.

Wait to see if it rains again. Hopefully the elephant trunk did the trick. If not it could ne a dried up windshield seal OR the seal which goes around the heater box assembly

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
        is there a leak from your brake or clutch cylinders? Brake fluid is clear too.

Wait to see if it rains again. Hopefully the elephant trunk did the trick. If not it could ne a dried up windshield seal OR the seal which goes around the heater box assembly
        It rained last night and my carpet didn't seem to be any wetter, mind you that's hard to judge when it was already wet haha, I'm going to try drying it out, and I didn't see any fluids coming down the pedals
        Last edited by sheldpaugh; 04-24-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Got any holes in your floor?

Comment

I agree with rust through holes in the floor. These are old cars these days and I've spent more than a little time welding up patch panels for mine. But one other place to check is item 9 in the link below:

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Heater core leak can also dampen the driver's foot well. As always, if you want to find a leak inside of a car just tape some paper in various locations and you'll find the source.

Comment

I'd noticed my footwell was becoming damp on a regular basis..then my heater core blew up while sitting at a red light one evening. I'd suggest starting there at the valve assembly.
                -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Mine was leaking only when it rains, coming in through the grommets above the brake and clutch, and also from the corner by the heater core area.

I pulled some of the noise canceling foam from above the fuse box and found a rust trail coming down from the grommet where the wiper motor cable goes through the cowl.

I also saw the foam insulation around the blower motor was getting wet, and looks crusty. I read about this being a problem on another post, but to replace it you have to pull the whole dash and heater box through the cabin.

The other thread stated covering the seal with silicon killed the leak, so I did that with both of my sources and feel pretty confident, waiting for another rain to make sure it's staying dry now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-sutherland View Post
                    Mine was leaking only when it rains, coming in through the grommets above the brake and clutch, and also from the corner by the heater core area.

I pulled some of the noise canceling foam from above the fuse box and found a rust trail coming down from the grommet where the wiper motor cable goes through the cowl.

I also saw the foam insulation around the blower motor was getting wet, and looks crusty. I read about this being a problem on another post, but to replace it you have to pull the whole dash and heater box through the cabin.

The other thread stated covering the seal with silicon killed the leak, so I did that with both of my sources and feel pretty confident, waiting for another rain to make sure it's staying dry now.

Does that thread have any pics of what to look for where I might use silicone for the heater core? I'm pretty sure I'm getting water from that location but we don't want to replace that seal until I swap in my spare motor (after the turbo gets mounted to the spare)

Comment

I don't have any pictures, but it wasn't the heater core, it was the seal around the blower motor.

If you remove the black panel in the middle of the fire wall to get to the blower motor from the engine bay, you'll see a foam looking seal between the plastic housing of the blower surround, near the valley where the water goes from the driver's side to the elephant trunk.

Comment

Working...
                      X