Dyno results: Technica s52 OBD2 e30 swap tune, stock vs. upgraded coilpacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyno results: Technica s52 OBD2 e30 swap tune, stock vs. upgraded coilpacks

My car came with the BavAuto coilpacks and I was getting misfires.

Since I'm a reseller of Okada/Ignition Project coilpacks, I decided to order a set to test them out in my NA s52 stock cam setup (expecting no gains) and in my friends boosted m52 e36 (expecting gains).

I don't sell snake oil, so when possible I like to prove to myself if the products I represent work or not. I have used these coilpacks on multiple VW and Audi builds to make significant gains (see links at bottom of post for dyno test results), so I expect the same here in the BMW world.

The e36 is running stock coils, but don't know how old they are just to get that question out of the way. He is putting down 550+whp so the stock coilpacks work.

On tq/hp plots, the colored dots on the left edge represent the pull number.

The first session of 3 pulls (red, green, blue) were on stock coils and the second session of 3 pulls (violet, cyan, yellow) on the new upgraded coils. The power plot show the 1st and 3rd pulls from each session.

The upgraded coils produced a very consistent results, and to our surprise and increase in power as well as we did not expect any on a NA engine.

Below is a plot comparing the first pulls (red = stock, violet = IP coils) from each session and a 17.6hp and 15.9tq gain just from running the new high output coils.

Discussion:

Looking at the results and AFR plots there is some adjusting that can be done. I sent these results to Technica and they are going to send me an updated tune and I will go dyno again with that file and hope to see a better torque curve and final numbers.

Not sure why there was such a noticeable power gain on a NA engine with a coilpack swap as I expected none. Next dyno session I hope to have new stock coils on hand to try this comparison again.

I did pick up a used set of Jethot e36 shorty headers, so I wanted to get a good base dyno down before installing them to see if the torque improves as speculated.

Here are links to previous dyno testing I have done on these high spark coilpacks on modified and a stock Audi:

dyno test dropping in coilpacks and swapping spark plugs:
    My previous review is discussed here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/372549-review-Okada-Plasma-Direct-coilpacks-vs.-new-OEM-revision-D-coilpacks reapersA4 was at the shop (August 9, 2010) to do some tuning since he installed the stock exhaust cam in his setup. Since his car was on the dyno I asked him if I could use his car to do the comparison test. So I did a back to back test with OEM rev. D coilpacks vs. the Okada Plasma coilpacks Then we did a third pull to

My original review is discussed here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/372549-review-Okada-Plasma-Direct-coilpacks-vs.-new-OEM-revision-D-coilpacks Dyno comparison #1 is here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/380485-review-Okada-vs.-OEM-rev-D-coilpacks-Bosch-FR5DTC-vs.-NGK-5238-spark-plugs My friend Jason's car was at the shop (August 11, 2010) and I asked him if I could dyno his car as he has a 2871 setup that he daily drives. So I did a back to back test with

dyno test using a stock audi a4: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...acks-installed

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Your vanos shutoff point is in the wrong place.
    Leaving a lot on the table with that alone.
    Cool results either way. I wonder what it would look like with new Bosch/bremi coils.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'm a n00b when it comes to BMW tech so I will put on my reading list VANOS activation time to understand it more.

From your wording I assume the VANOS timing is software controlled?

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
        Thanks for the feedback! I'm a n00b when it comes to BMW tech so I will put on my reading list VANOS activation time to understand it more.

From your wording I assume the VANOS timing is software controlled?
        By the tune.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

How much are these?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
          X