Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double DIN in an E30: Tablet VS Asteroid Smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double DIN in an E30: Tablet VS Asteroid Smart?

Hey R3V, I have been thinking about building a kit to put the Asteroid Smart in the E30. I had a Pioneer AVIC F500BT in my last car, it was great in some ways, but the unit was discontinued and was not replaced in Pioneers lineup.

This would still be an option, but it is Windows CE based and basically dead-ended.

I want to have proper GPS, like modern cars. Purely web-based nav is inadequate for my needs, so first, I am looking for 7"ish tablets that have a GPS antenna in them. I don't even know for certain with tablets being such a web-centric item if they do, in fact come with proper antennas, or better yet, something that can be used with an outboard antenna.

Audio could be controlled through a JL Audio CL-RLC or whatever pre-amp/front end desired and used with an inexpensive USB DAC, could be quite impressive, up to 24 bit and basically, the performance would be as good as some high-end home systems. However, no matter what you do, it won't be as slick and smooth from what I have seen. None do proper day/night illumination, doing a rear view/backup camera input would be a PITA, on and on.

The Parrot Asteroid Smart is a typical double DIN deck, but it is only 4" or so deep. It has no Disk slot: it is mechless. It has a plethora of features and seems to be a great option, even compared to Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine in the Double DIN world. Sound quality is adequate and it does have all of the automotive functions already built-in, and can easily do steering wheel controls.

So, what would you do? The tablet is cheaper, but there will be a lot of futzing. The Asteroid is solid and fairly inexpensive, can be had for around $450 all over the place:

I am fairly certain I can fit it where my Pioneer was, but I would have to cut open the center console for sure. no way will it be that flush, but I am certain I can make it look nice.

Anyone care to discuss?

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Be cool to see what you end up doing with it. Why not relocate the AC controls and that and chuck the new screen up there? Take a lot of work but by the looks of your threads you're well versed in this.

Comment

Actually, we do have some plans forming up for an entirely new concept... Might be interesting to some.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Be great to see what the new concept is. I'm very interested in this sort of thing.

Comment

Any update on this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grk325 View Post
            Any update on this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
            Well, sort of. We are currently pursuing a bluetooth audio setup intended to be either installed as a standalone "deckless" system or possibly, into a stock deck, hopefully using the cassette buttons to controls things.

We are aiming to offer full 24 bit audio from this bluetooth adapter, and a very high-grade DAC. The combination should sound far superior to CD, or at least that is our goal. We have a lot to learn, but we know its possible. The goal is simple: to make a phone interface that can do just about anything and be installed in any vehicle, or used as the centerpiece of a home audio system (garage tunes? you just wait....) or whatever...lets just say we have some long term plans if we are to buy a license to produce Bluetooth stuff, its expensive!

In the meantime, it is currently possible to install a tablet or a simple touch screen to use with a small Andriod media box in a housing like this, so we will be exploring that option too. Any tablet with HDMI out could also be turned into a media monster too, but that would be an entirely different device.

I am thinking I may want to sell that AVIC-F500BT pictured above, but be warned it has no BT audio. Does calls just fine, but no music at all. As you can see the mount is attached to a stock ashtray housing, and the ashtray still fits and works stock.

The unit would come with the external GPS antenna and microphone I built for it...

Closing SOON!

Comment

fwiw, I have an asteroid smart in my mk4 gti. totally not worth it, as the hardware is very outdated. Tablet is a way better option.

Comment

The Parrot IMO is quite outdated and seems to be quite limited even though it is running android...

Comment

Alpine just came out with their iLX-007 CarPlay receiver, which is mech-less and 3" deep (shallower than the Parrot). Unfortunately it only has AM/FM, AUX, CarPlay, and that's it. Not so good for those not invested in the Apple ecosystem. I would love to have this in my E30 however.

Last edited by august125; 11-07-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by august125 View Post
                    Alpine just came out with their iLX-007 CarPlay receiver, which is mech-less and 3" deep (shallower than the Parrot). Unfortunately it only has AM/FM, AUX, CarPlay, and that's it. Not so good for those not invested in the Apple ecosystem. I would love to have this in my E30 however.

Whoa? 3" deep? That may be going in the E46 very soon...
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      Whoa? 3" deep? That may be going in the E46 very soon...
                      I agree, it's sexy! Wish they had used 5V pre-outs, but at least there is 3...

Closing SOON!

Comment

anyone done this except stereoinstallaer1 in that same location. I have standard size double din stereo laying around and want to do use it for that same location

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
                        Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

No double DIN will fit in the location I used, not even the Alpine.

My Pioneer is less than 1" deep and it barely fits

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            No double DIN will fit in the location I used, not even the Alpine.

My Pioneer is less than 1" deep and it barely fits
                            I have alpine but even if I cut the center console, it still won't fit ?

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
                            Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

Originally posted by aegul44 View Post
                              I have alpine but even if I cut the center console, it still won't fit ?
                              Maaaaybe you should take it apart and look

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X