Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my first 911 today - 77 Targa - Updates & Pics 2.1.17

Hey R3v,

It's no E30, but I think you'll appreciate it.

And my 944 just because.

Details:

Originally a Cali car. Original owner had it though 2003 and put all but 400 of the 99,XXX miles on the car. I am the third owner.

5-speed, factory AC, power windows, new top around 2002 (still looks like new), engine supposedly has stronger aftermarket studs (but no paperwork).

The car has not been started or driven in at least a couple of years, but it cranked without issue. Seems like it's not getting any fuel. I plan to tow it home tomorrow and get to work. I'm open to any tips or tricks - I'm new to these.
    Last edited by Joe G; 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
    Sounds like you need a massage.
    Originally posted by kpeng
    Who the hell is Vlad?

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
    ...supposedly has stronger aftermarket studs (but no paperwork).

The car has not been started or driven in at least a couple of years
    Nice find!

^^^These two things and the oil puddle underneath would be my concerns on a 2.7. Any way to verify studs without a teardown, you Porsche guys?

Does it still have the thermal reactor exhaust set-up? Does your state require original emissions equip? That was one of the big problems as I understand it - heat. Get rid of those if you can.

Then I assume, from sitting, the rubber is all shot - hoses, vacuum lines, all of it.

Then if it was me, I'd get to work on those huge bumpers!

Good luck! Nice 944!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

Does it still have the thermal reactor exhaust set-up? Does your state require original emissions equip? That was one of the big problems as I understand it - heat. Get rid of those if you can.
      If it came from CA it definitely HAD them and the car doesnt look modified, so Im guessing it does. I hope you got a good deal on it, because it mightget very expensive. Best of luck to you, Ive kinda given up hope/ lost interest in 911s and Porsche in general. Now my goal is to hunt them down on the track and make them feel inferior to the E30! :devil:
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I got it for a very very reasonable price. I was aware of the oil leak and hazards of the 2.7 cars, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I intend to get it running/driving and then sell it. I don't have the time or space for another car, and as cool as it is, I can use the money for more practical things. In the meantime, I plan to enjoy the hell outta it!

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Not bad then! You should be able to get some kind of profit on it then. The better its running when you're done will really help because I dont think a ton of people are looking for a 77 targa
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice pick up. Back just after the GFC, I almost bought a late 60's 912 with a 6 cylinder swap for dirt cheap.

In hindsight I should have done it, the values have skyrocketed since then to the point where I now can't buy one. Ah well - might have to abandon the 911 dream.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Hey Joe (in Hendrix Voice),

Welcome back, we missed you.

Nice pick up. Love Targas to death. I will need one, one day.

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

cool find! that 944 is awesome as well. I've always been a big fan of that body style.

Comment

Nice find!

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Hey Joe (in Hendrix Voice),

Welcome back, we missed you.

Nice pick up. Love Targas to death. I will need one, one day.

Sina

Hey dude,

I'm still a lurkers, just not much of a poster ha. It's good to be back to 'active' status.

I dove into the car a bit today and determined that while she has spark, there is not any fuel.

I plan to drain the tank, replace the fuel sender, pump, and filter, blow out the lines, and go from there. It may not all be entirely necessary, but that should make the fuel delivery system (from tank to filter) pretty damn reliable.

From there I hope she starts so I can begin to diagnose the oil leak(s) - hopefully singular.

I will continue to update and post pics as I go.

Cheers!

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

That's an awesome pick up. Super jelly. Maybe one day.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Nice.

I've been on the hunt for 911 for a while now (either a 2.7, 3.0 or 3.2) but I keep finding dealers that want 40K+ for average drivers... or ones that are just crappy (rust, damage, expensive issues). Id love a 964 or 993 model - but those have almost reached unobtainium prices..

Good find -I'm jealous, because I am always looking in Missouri and Kansas area..

Comment

I should get a Porsche 911. Maybe a 964 or 993
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice 911! I had shopped around for one prior to getting my e30. I keep saying to myself that I'll get one, but the prices keep going up.

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                            I should get a Porsche 911. Maybe a 964 or 993
                            Oh boy. Are you replacing the 318is with a 911?

Comment

Update time.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage at my current home, but a friend/co-worker of mine offered me a spot in his garage. He lives ~5minutes away from me and the garage is connected to the basement and stays at 55-65 degrees - not bad at all. Slop sink in the next room and all the amenities of a house right up stairs. (Don't worry, this all will become relevant).

(water on the ground, not oil)

So the car wouldn't start.

Spark: Yes
                              Fuel: No

Plugs looked okay, but why not replace? Car hasn't been driven in at least 4yrs.

because beer.

So I got on GutenParts.com (free plug for Levent) and ordered up the standard "make an old car run" stuff:
                              -Fuel pump
                              -Fuel tank level sending unit
                              -Fuel filter
                              -Fuel lines
                              -Plugs
                              -Wire
                              -Cap
                              -Rotor
                              -Air filter
                              -Oil filter
                              -Hood shocks
                              -Deklid shock

(probably missing a few things)

Got into the car, first thing was to get the hood and deck lid struts in. Easy.

Then it was time to drain the tank. I had put ~1.5gallons in when I bought the car, hoping that it was just low on fuel (gas gauge read empty). So I figured we'd have ~2-5gallons (tops) in the tank. WRONG. All told we drained ~12gallons out of the car. 12 gallons of the nastiest, smelliest, most dehydrated pee looking gas I have ever seen. Full of all sorts of sediment.

Still not sure what to do with it (currently in three 5gallon gas jugs) - anybody have experience recycling bad gas?

So we looked in the tank, and yea, it was f*cked. So with the sun setting and the beer running low, we called it a day and I ordered a new tank.

Tank arrived, and I had planned on putting it in, along with everything else over last weekend while my GF was out of town.....but the universe had other plans.

I woke up at ~5:20am on Friday, and like I'm sure most of you do, I got on my phone and checked my notifications, got on snapchat, and ended up seeing that my buddy (whose garage housed my car) had recently updated his story - odd, it's 5:30am (he's not at all an early riser). Open the story to see a house on fire, really really on fire, flames above the second story. I watch the 5 second video about 10 times, thinking it must be a neighbor's - who would ever snap their house burning down?! Nope - his house.

So I called him immediately and asked if he was ok, if his roommates were okay(he own's the house and rents to them), etc. Everyone was fine, thank god.

So I got dressed and headed to his house. Flames were out, fire dept was gone, house was still somewhat intact (at least from the outside). So after a house tour, I get to the basement and check on my car. Cover over the hood/fenders was melted/burned with holes in it, and that was it. I checked the paint the best I could with a flashlight, and it seemed to be OK - just hazy from the smoke and wet/dirty from everything else.

Cover - at least what's left of it.

That whitish-grey-brown spot on the top left is the worst of it by far, a few areas have a little bit of bubbling (only detectable upon close inspection). Hopefully a thorough scrubbing, clay-bar, polish, etc. will help it. Then I'll just have to go from there.

The car is now at another friend's house in a steel pole barn with a ton of space, and far fewer fire hazards.

Could have been WAY worse, but still bummed about the paint.

tldr: 911 still won't start. house burned up. car is mostly ok.

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Working...
                              X