• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Joe...

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is
      Correct me if im wrong...

84/85 318i tanks and 90/91 318i/s tanks also have a connecting pipe between the two halves of the tanks [runs under the drivershaft] Now, if all else fails you could use that with just one pump, however they are smaller tanks; 13 gallon vs 13.5-14 gallon, mine is from an 88 325 and takes nearly 14.6 gallons once the light comes on! Bolts in the same, just a needs a little more love to work.
      All the E30 tanks that I've seen have that connecting pipe, otherwise the pump wouldn't be able to get the gas in the other half.

Comment

I wonder which is which. I have simply not been under enough e30s in my day to know which does and does not. I know for a fact the 84/85 318i and 90/91 318i/is have a connecting pipe, where as the 88 325 does not. Past that, im lost...haha

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I wonder which is which. I have simply not been under enough e30s in my day to know which does and does not. I know for a fact the 84/85 318i and 90/91 318i/is have a connecting pipe, where as the 88 325 does not. Past that, im lost...haha
          Why do you say the 88 325 doesn't have one? I can't see how that would be possible.

Comment

Because my chassis is an 88 325is, and i know it doesnt

Comment

Because my chassis is an 88 325is, and i know it doesnt
              How does the fuel get from one side of the tank to the other?

Comment

Dosent, theres two pumps, two pickups, and two level sensors for when it gets low. Next time im under there ill take pics

Whats with the thrid degree?

Comment

The later models, Like my 90 325i and pretty much all cars with a saddle type tank, (e60, e39, e46, etc) use a siphon jet on the return line to transfer fuel from one side of the tank, and dump it in the swirl pot of the side with the pick up.

Comment

Dosent, theres two pumps, two pickups, and two level sensors for when it gets low. Next time im under there ill take pics

Whats with the thrid degree?
                    It's my job. j/k.

I'm not actually trying to give you the third degree I'm just trying to understand what you are talking about.

I've had both early and late style E30s and both had the connecting line. There aren't 2 pickup pumps in the tank though for sure, there are 2 senders.

Comment

meh, EAD

Comment

What about convertibles? I have an 88 vert with a dirty tank and 2 access holes. would any tank from a late model be a proper replacement tank? or is there a difference in coupe/vert tanks?
                        Thanks guys.
                        1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                        2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                        2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader View Post
                          All the E30 tanks that I've seen have that connecting pipe, otherwise the pump wouldn't be able to get the gas in the other half.

My 84 tank does not have a connecting pipe from the left side to the right side of the tank. My 89 tank also does not (has two holes for the pump with sender and another sender.
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I know this is an old thread but i couldnt find my answer 100% from reading.

I have a '91 318is with NO connecting tube between halves and NO hole for the sending unit on the driver side (top does have the access panel tho). Only has the hole for the pump and sending unit on the passenger side of the tank. 0.o

Comment

I need some help please.

I have a 9 1987 e30 325e. I think it is a late e30 fuel tank. My fuel gauge does not read on cluster. on driver side this wire is not plugged to nothing. Is this wire for it to read fuel level? How could I make it work with out hole on driver side?

DSC04779 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr
                              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                                I need some help please.

I have a 9 1987 e30 325e. I think it is a late e30 fuel tank. My fuel gauge does not read on cluster. on driver side this wire is not plugged to nothing. Is this wire for it to read fuel level? How could I make it work with out hole on driver side?

DSC04779 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr
                                The plug near the hole looks like it is for your fuel pump not the sending unit that goes in it. but you have an external main fuelpump.

Comment

Working...
                                X