Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318is Restoration Project...Now with some Air!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheet metal? Im sure you can pick some up at a local hardware store.
    You should definitely make it so that you can open it up so that you can take snowboards/skis in your e30.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

What's "rust check"?

Comment

Originally posted by Be30mer View Post
        sheet metal? Im sure you can pick some up at a local hardware store.
        You should definitely make it so that you can open it up so that you can take snowboards/skis in your e30.
        Thanks, ya I'll definitely make something that folds down although I don't do much skiing or snowboarding, lol

Originally posted by blalor View Post
        What's "rust check"?
        It's essentially a chemical that turns any rust into a paintable surface, although I sanded most of the rust off, just in case I sprayed it down, it also turns bare metal into a rust free paintable surface. You can see in one of the pictures the black spots, thats what this spray did.

Comment

Looks like a cool project, I want your seats!

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Originally posted by Tuee View Post
            It's essentially a chemical that turns any rust into a paintable surface, although I sanded most of the rust off, just in case I sprayed it down, it also turns bare metal into a rust free paintable surface. You can see in one of the pictures the black spots, thats what this spray did.
            Sounds like cool stuff. Do you have a name brand? I Google'd but just found some spammy sites. :(

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
              Looks like a cool project, I want your seats!
              Haha, so do I, i really wanted tan leather but when I saw these seats I was like damn, I want these, I can say 10% of the reason I bought the car was because of the seats, lol

Originally posted by blalor View Post
              Sounds like cool stuff. Do you have a name brand? I Google'd but just found some spammy sites. :(
              Its essentially this in a spray form, my camera ran out of batteries so i'll post a pic of the can when i can.

I also found out today that my car's a whore.....I'm the 12th owner, it exchanged hands 5 times just in 1993

Comment

Can't help but wonder if installing one of those rear 'butt strut' cross-members would more than adequately (or better?) compensate for lack of sheet metal, structure-wise.

You plan on putting in some sort of trunk sub setup?
                Looks like the rear seat would hang fine from what is there.
                Running a cloth seat and that open area would be kind of ideal for trunk/cabin breathing.
                The bitch would be designing a setup around the butt brace.

Otherwise, that area is one of the last areas to corrode. Would think it'd be easy enough to cut that piece out of a junker to weld in. Butt brace idea starts sounding pretty good in light of doing less work. Maybe.. I’m thinking out loud mostly.

whore car ;) lol

+1 on cool plaid cloth there..
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                  Can't help but wonder if installing one of those rear 'butt strut' cross-members would more than adequately (or better?) compensate for lack of sheet metal, structure-wise.

You plan on putting in some sort of trunk sub setup?
                  Looks like the rear seat would hang fine from what is there.
                  Running a cloth seat and that open area would be kind of ideal for trunk/cabin breathing.
                  The bitch would be designing a setup around the butt brace.

Otherwise, that area is one of the last areas to corrode. Would think it'd be easy enough to cut that piece out of a junker to weld in. Butt brace idea starts sounding pretty good in light of doing less work. Maybe.. I’m thinking out loud mostly.

whore car ;) lol

+1 on cool plaid cloth there..
                  Thanks for the suggestion man. Would you by any chance have a pic of how this strut looks like, it sounds like a good way to go. I am going to put in a sub but its going to be one of those sealed bandpass boxes...and no 2 15's, lol

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, there never was a wiring harness sold for this car..not till '92 or so was there a harness for BMW.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

http://www.strong-strut.com/Butt-Strut.htm

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        If it makes you feel any better, there never was a wiring harness sold for this car..not till '92 or so was there a harness for BMW.
                        ah I see....this kinda makes me feel a little better, lol, I guess I'll put in a newer harness to make things easier, thanks for the info

Originally posted by bryant.cw View Post
                        Thanks for the link, it's something I'll definitely look into.

Comment

Just remember, black stripe is POSITIVE on BMW.

Do you have the electrical manuals?

Find them at www.wedophones.com

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by bryant.cw
                            This wasn't what I had in mind (shouldn't have used that term maybe).

Blunt has a kick-ass rear X brace in his 02 project - and that's the picture of what I had in mind. Something in the trunk - that braces up the rear shock towers.

After some quick google searching, I found this pic:

Turner carries one - but in your situation, I'd be more interested in something that has cross-members incorporated.

Skeptical of those 'under-braces' - simply connecting the ends of the subframe doesn't seem like it'd do much imo.
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Just remember, black stripe is POSITIVE on BMW.

Do you have the electrical manuals?

Find them at www.wedophones.com
                              Thanks alot man, really appreciate the help.

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                              This wasn't what I had in mind (shouldn't have used that term maybe).

Blunt has a kick-ass rear X brace in his 02 project - and that's the picture of what I had in mind. Something in the trunk - that braces up the rear shock towers.

After some quick google searching, I found this pic:

Turner carries one - but in your situation, I'd be more interested in something that has cross-members incorporated.

Skeptical of those 'under-braces' - simply connecting the ends of the subframe doesn't seem like it'd do much imo.
                              Ya this is what I thought you were saying, I think I'll probably go this route, thanks for the suggestion.

You know I realized something just now, in the time I've owned two honda's over a period of 5 years, people never wanted to help out...they just wanted to make fun of you or race you. I've owned this e30 for 1.5 weeks and I've received so much help, some random guy even pulled over to give me some advice rebuilding the car (he's also working on an e30). Once again I really appreciate all the help for you guys, I know it's going to make my life a bit easier dealing with this car. I already feeling the e30 love, lol.

Comment

does anyone know what kind of rims are on my car, there some sort of Primax wheels, and how much they might be worth?

Comment

Working...
                                X