My newest car, '89 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My newest car, '89 325is

I realized I never made a new thread for my car. I joined here with an '88 325ix. I loved the car but it had many problems and was eventually parted out. I ended up buying a '97 540i/6. Hell of a car but, it's no e30 ;). Back in November I traded it for an '89 325is.

The new car has quite a few nice parts.

-GC conversion with shortened housings, 375f/550r springs, race camber plates and tall rear mounts. No M3 swaybar mounts but that will come later.
    -M3 front cab's
    -96 M3 steering rack and no p/s
    -ss brake lines
    -Sparco front strut brace
    -Mark d chip
    -Evo steering wheel
    -z3 1.9 shifter and wooden shift knob
    -Luke box and pioneer HU, new front speakers and tweeters all around
    -fresh AWIII paint
    - OZ futura's

And my bro's 5.7 Dakots, awesome truck.

I have since added new rear speakers, 19lb injectors, a skid plate, ix wheels and 15mm spacers up front ( I have the rear spacers just not on). and removed the Futura's which now grace Lambo's car.

With the gf's '90 crx

Plans are to replace all the bushings. A new exhuast and rebuilding the m20. It needs a lot and unfortunately it is rusting apart.
    Last edited by 325ix; 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM.

spraying the rocker panel, bottom valence bit, and side trim with some SEM would do this car some justice.
    congrats on the pickup

Comment

Great bunch of cars! I always like when couples both drive cool cars.
      diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
        spraying the rocker panel, bottom valence bit, and side trim with some SEM would do this car some justice.
        congrats on the pickup
        I personally hate the black trim along the bottom. It has always looked odd to me when you have an is lip which I need to replace. I plan on some side skirts of some sort at some point.

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
        Great bunch of cars! I always like when couples both drive cool cars.
        Thanks, it's a fun little car, decently quick with the 5-speed.

Comment

Been busy bringing this car back from the dead

I'd say this car embodies the college-budget lifestyle complete with random parking lot repairs; no garage in sight.

Replacing the radiator and front left wheel bearing.

Panda status.

More parking lot car work, only this time in a new location.

We learned that doing a rear wheel bearing in a parking lot sucks massive ass.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I've heard that rear wheel bearings suck, so I can't imagine having to do it in a parking lot lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
              I've heard that rear wheel bearings suck, so I can't imagine having to do it in a parking lot lol.
              It definitely wasn't fun. We ran into a lot of stupid bullshit that extended the job time two fold... But, now that I've done it in a parking lot I'm comfortable doing it anywhere lol

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

haha awesome!! sounds as miserable as putting stock suspension back in a b5
                1997 Audi A4 1.8t 5-Speed (bamboo metallic): ST Coilovers, Sport Edition 17x7.5 Et35, 215/45/17 Kumho AST, Panzer, Depo Ecodes, 55w 5k bulbs, Magnaflow 14815, Res delete, JHM Vent Boost gauge
                2001.5 Audi s4 2.7tt 6-Speed (Imola Yellow)
                <<Flickr>>

Comment

Originally posted by 325i View Post
                  haha awesome!! sounds as miserable as putting stock suspension back in a b5
                  At least you don't have to cut and weld strut housings for decent coilovers lol

Comment

nice work! i did a rear wheel bearing in my parents driveway on my first e30. made a homeade wheel bearing press with a 4 inch pice of pvc pipe. and yes it sucked ass. having almost no tools back then.

Comment

Originally posted by jharrel View Post
                      nice work! i did a rear wheel bearing in my parents driveway on my first e30. made a homeade wheel bearing press with a 4 inch pice of pvc pipe. and yes it sucked ass. having almost no tools back then.
                      Interesting... I'll have to check out Lowes and see if I can make my own wheel bearing press for cheap. Don't really want to drop $360 on the BMW one or even $100 on the Harbor Freight one if I'm only going to use it a few times...

Comment

here are the links to the video i watched. he shows how to remove and install wheel bearings using no special tools. i did this on my 91 325i and it works. took me awhile to find the right washers to use, and it dented the pvc pipe a little. but it for sure worked. it was pretty awesome when it only costs about 10 bucks for parts total lol. oh yeah you could definetley use this a few times. it just depends on how bad the wheel beearing is stuck in there. but even with the right tool it still can be a pain in the ass to come out.

removal
                        https://www.tiktok.com/@edzgarage?Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EdzGarageCheckout my other channel KoolVidz https://www.youtube.com/channel/...

installation
                        UPDATE Using the old bearing to press the new bearing in works best. https://www.tiktok.com/@edzgarage?Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EdzGar...

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          It definitely wasn't fun. We ran into a lot of stupid bullshit that extended the job time two fold... But, now that I've done it in a parking lot I'm comfortable doing it anywhere lol
                          Sweet. I've got you on speed dial for when mine take a poop. :D

Comment

In other news i've done some boring things to the car. New rear wheel bearing, front hub and half-shaft. Also got some new tires as well. I do have one of these coming in for it though.

As well as a few of these:
                            [IMG]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rEzYsZDnBgc/TRcZxCOOUPI/AAAAAAAAQE8/grZ1jCXSvH
                            Last edited by 325ix; 05-02-2016, 08:00 AM.

Comment

is your shell not clean? i thought you bought it in socal?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Working...
                              X