No announcement yet.

Mykk's E34 540i/6 progress thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work, man. It never ceases to amaze me just how much mechanical neglect some of these cars endure. I just bought an e30 eta and some of the valve were over 10x the spec clearance!

Comment

I'll just let the pictures do the talking:

The car is now dropped off at the exhaust shop, it's getting a 2.5" into 3" single exhaust with a Flowmaster Super 40 at the end.

Next; finish up the lighting and wiring. Then spend the time tuning it. It runs now, but it's not happy. It's really rich and beginning to flood out cylinders. I'll know how and what to do once the exhaust is made and the wideband O2 is in place.

When the engine was out and I was degree'ing in the cams I marked true TDC of the front cylinders of both banks on the damper. Now I'll go back using a spark tester to extend the ignition coil boot and a timing light and tweak the ignition timing tables to get ignition timing where I want it in real life crank degrees and not theoretical timing based on the tune.

I am however having trouble getting the idle timing tables to respond to changes. But once the exhaust is on I can spend the time figuring it out.
      Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 08-03-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Mad Max

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Comment

Decided to try this universal oversized throttlebody I've had floating around my stuff. According to the calculation the ideal throttlebody bore is roughly 72mm for a street engine and 81mm for high rpm racing. The OE M60B40 throttlebody is 80mm, the one I found....90mm. Way overkill. Combined with a screenless 4" MAF housing, we'll see if I can even get the engine to idle.

Making the adapter plate, not my cleanest work but I did what I could with hand tools, drill & sawzall working on the garage floor.

Comment

looks pretty mean! are you planning on keeping it without headlights?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                looks pretty mean! are you planning on keeping it without headlights?
                The HID's in the projector lenses down in the fogs, and LED's in the corners actually light up the road quite well.

Comment

The engine is alive with the monster 90mm throttlebody, no hesitations at tip in. I'm going to wait until making the rest of the intake piping and filter before even attempting to tune for idle. I can watch the MAF voltage drastically fluctuate and you can ever hear the swinging AFR's in the exhaust note

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

When I first got the vehicle in my clean up and diagnostic stages, I pulled the intake manifold decarboned and painted it before I had the engine running. I also, at that time removed the IAC and blocked the port. This is my own personal preference, it cleans up the intake tubing and makes things simpler. It's also one less thing to break later.

Now that I'm in the tuning of the Motronic system I've noticed that my DME never cell hit during tracing in the idle fuel and idle ignition maps. I assumed it defaulted into a limp mode at idle presumably due to the unplugged IAC valve.

This morning I tried an experiment, to simulate a load on the IAC wires to pull the DME out of limp mode. So I took two LED's, used the +12v to the IAC and the two grounds from the DME. Mounted the LED's in the electrical box above the valve cover. Then pushed the car outside, fired it up. And I'm beyond ecstatic to report my experiment worked. The DME now uses the idle maps in the tuning and I can cell hit trace and tune my idle.

Comment

Changing things up a bit:

Comment

I so don't want to like this car. The wheels, the grill, the wheels, the diamond plate.

But goddamnit it all fits together so well. Every bit is an odd shaped puzzle piece. Put them with the usual E34's, on there own, and it's out of place. But all these strange things that normally wouldn't fit together, all slide smoothly into place. Kudo's.

I think the M-Pars really set it off.

Comment

Working...
                        X