Fitting the 17x9 255 square set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting the 17x9 255 square set-up

Since my car is no longer really a street car that sees track/autocross it's more time to transition to a track car that can run on the street. I've been determined for awhile to have a sticky 255 square tire set-up on this car for quite some time and now the time has come.

I am running a 17x9 et20 4x100 str wheel all around. It may be possible to run this set-up without flares and a little more front camber, but I am ready to do whatever is needed. My fenders are very rolled and the rears have plenty of room. Obviously the fronts are the problem. For guys out there who have successfully run 255s up front I might need some advice on what I'm looking at.

even loaded I have clearance inside and out. This test tire runs a bit narrow though. 9.8" section width. I will end up with a 10.2"

Front clears the fender but wheel lip just touches the strut so it needs a spacer to clear

If I use a 10mm spacer to stay hubcentric it will probably need flares

This is were the issues come in. I can't turn any further as it is contacting the wheelhouse sheet metal.

Problems I know I might have:
    too much caster because of offset control arm bushings moving the whole wheel assembly forward taking some useable room
    also seems like too low ride height in the front.

I plan on clearancing the inner fender areas (all plastic panels have been removed). I will add coil-overs to get some more camber adjustment and height adjustments and possibly change the bushings back to centered.

So anyone out there with big rubber have any other tips on getting good fitment on the front?
    Old and improved:

The issue is the height of the tire, not the width. But I'm sure you know that.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Full lock achieved. Actually wasn't that hard at all.
      Old and improved:

Comment

whats the height on those tires?
        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

25" tall. A 245/40/17 would run 24.7" I am coming from a 23" tire with loads of extra space.
          Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post

Full lock achieved. Actually wasn't that hard at all.

Resurrecting an old thread. Interested in what you finally had to do for this to fit. I'm looking at a 17x9 square setup for my track car.
            "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
            2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
            X