Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wax or polish recommendations

hey all...
    i just re painted my e30 the original color... glacier blue... with glasurit paint. its absolutely gorgeous....
    which polish or wax do you recommend for this high end paint??

thanks people
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Polish and wax are very different things.
    Polish acts as a superfine sandpaper and resurfaces the paint or clearcoat (if you have clear).
    Wax (or synthetic coatings) are there to protect the paint by adding an additional layer on top of the paint or clearcoat.

Need to polish and then put wax or sealant on the nicely leveled surface.

Comment

do you have any specific brand recommendations??
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sonax net shield is a good wax to use. Griots polishes are great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Sorry for not responding:

Polish - Get a dual-action polisher if you will be polishing. Hand polishing won't get good results. Easy to use and learn. Best products for the price, IMO, is the Meguairs M105 and M205. M105 is a compound and M205 is polish. Compound is just a more aggressive polish that will cut down the clear coat more and level it.

Wax/Sealant - Depends on a few things. If you will be washing and waxing your car every weekend then get a nice carnuba based wax. I don't use this stuff so no recommendations. Synthetic polymer sealants are what I go for. Can use the newer ceramic coatings that last 1-2 years, but they are tricky to apply and cost a lot. Personally, I use Rejex, which is very easy to apply and will last a few months between applications. It won't give you the extra shine from a good carnuba wax, but my car is always well polished so it's plenty shiny already.

Comment

I love Zanio and it has been around for awhile. There are tons of sealant products on the market now. I hadn't used Zaino since I sold my S2000 back in 2007 (my last e30's paint wasn't worth the effort) so I looked into new products when I got my new E30, but didn't find anything that made me want to switch from something I knew had amazing results and lasting protection. Even after 6 months my car would bead like it was waxed a month ago. I used to do it twice a year on my old car, once in the Spring and again in the Fall and plan to do that to my car now as well.

Like I said below, some people think it is a pain. I find it much easier that traditional wax, goes on easy and buffs off way easier than wax. It also doesn't stain trim like traditional waxes.

No matter what sealant or wax you use solid prep work is 90% of achieving a great shine. This requires a proper wash and paint prep/clay bar before waxing.

The post below is from my thread when I did a full detail on my new E30. Took it a step further and tried out polishing for the first time. It was a long Saturday, 11 hours, but well worth it. At least I know I don't have to polish the car for a long time.

I used to use regular waxes, but they always seem to need reapplication 2-3 months later. To just wash/clay/wash/3 coats of Zaino can be done in 4-5 hours, not that bad 2 times a year. Not something I would want to do every 2-3 months!

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
            I hadn't had a chance to give the car a good detail since I picked it up this fall. So I decided to give her a proper detail in prep for The Vintage next weekend.

Wash, Clay, Wash, 2 Stage Polish with the Porter Cable, and 3 coats of Zaino.

I had only used the Porter Cable on small areas before, this was the first time I had tried to do a full car polish/paint correction. I probably could have been a little more aggressive, but I was happy with the results. All the swirls came out nicely.

Here is the car right after the 2 Stage Polish with Meguires M105 & M205

And finally after 3 coats of Zaino

I know there are a lot of new types sealants out there, but I have been using Zaino since 2005 and love the stuff. Awesome shine, easy to use and lasting protection. A lot of people complain that it takes too long, but it is all in the prep and that is what takes time.
            Last edited by Zeemz; 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM.
            1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
            1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
            September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
            Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

thanks guys... i went with the griots best of show wax... looks great... and maintaining with the speed shine... with the brand new paint and glasurit at that it seems to need little in the way of show and shine...
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by chefpeterlevine View Post
                thanks guys... i went with the griots best of show wax... looks great... and maintaining with the speed shine... with the brand new paint and glasurit at that it seems to need little in the way of show and shine...
                Also not sure how long ago you painted it, but one thing to note, paint takes a while to fully cure. You want to wait at least 60 days before waxing it.
                1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Working...
                X