Clunk noise, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunk noise, need advice

Need some help diagnosing a small issue, I daily my e30 and in the last few weeks I've been hearing was sounds like knocking or clunking sound (not loud at all) coming from the steering wheel or what sounds like the column or the steering shaft maybe? Only hear it if I drive over an aggressive poor road or drive over multiple small bumps or potholes... as if there's something loose inside the column or shaft, feel a small rattle in the steering wheel.. so far I checked my suspension and it's solid when it comes to the control arms and tie rods and all the bushings.. I'll be replacing my stock springs and struts with sport H&Rs and Bilstein's very soon and need to figure what this is so I can fix it during the suspension swap... any advice is greatly appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience of cluncking from the steering wheel usually is a sign of a rubber bushing gone some where in your front suspension. I know you said you looked over it but you have inner tie rods that you can't see. Also look at sway bar bushings lower control arm bushings and also the part that connects the steering column to the rack and pinion. Hope that helps, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SecludedPlayer2 View Post
      From my experience of cluncking from the steering wheel usually is a sign of a rubber bushing gone some where in your front suspension. I know you said you looked over it but you have inner tie rods that you can't see. Also look at sway bar bushings lower control arm bushings and also the part that connects the steering column to the rack and pinion. Hope that helps, good luck.

I'll double check everything for sure, it's an air bag model and a few people told me it can be that large nut on the steering shaft ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clunking is often strut mounts.

Comment

Working...
        X