Pulled my M20 motor in 3 hours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled my M20 motor in 3 hours!

My race team blew our motor at Laguna last month. We managed to pull the motor in less than 3 hours! Made a cool video of it.

ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.
    http://www.revmatch.tv

Why did it take so long? I've pulled a motor out of a parts car by myself in 45 minutes, including the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      Why did it take so long? I've pulled a motor out of a parts car by myself in 45 minutes, including the tranny.
      I don't think we would ever get it down to 45 minutes. We don't have a lift for one thing. It's not a parts car, there are still pieces hooked up to it. We can't just start chopping things. We spent a good while documenting every wrench size etc so we can do it quicker next time.

If you wanna come help, I'm buying beer!
      ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.
      http://www.revmatch.tv

Comment

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

We blew an engine at the Sebring 14hr in Sept at 11:30 am. We found and engine from one team, then had to hunt down an engine hoist - that took 1.5hr in itself. The car was back in the race at 4pm.

Had to swap the timing belt, water pump, fuel rail, throttle body, even the pilot bearing since the donor was from an auto - no slide hammer or bearing tool, got some bread from someone in the pits to remove it. Pretty much the only things we didn't unbolt on the donor block was the head, pan, and intake manifold.

Then the race was red flagged at 4:30 for 2hr due to lightning. Just our luck. :/
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

not trying to measure my penis, but more than a handful of times, i have pulled an engine/trans by myself at the junk yard in a little under 2 hrs. that is to say without monkey fucking anything such as snipping off wiring harnesses or using a sawzall.

even so, good job gettin' 'er dun!
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              not trying to measure my penis, but more than a handful of times, i have pulled an engine/trans by myself at the junk yard in a little under 2 hrs. that is to say without monkey fucking anything such as snipping off wiring harnesses or using a sawzall.

even so, good job gettin' 'er dun!
              Down here the yards put the cars up high on welded wheels. I used to grab all the e34 pan setups I could find by unbolting the sub frame and letting them drop out the bottom lol.

My situation wasn't meant to be an e-penis comparison, we had two teams of racers working on the car, all at once. Guy under, guy on top and one each side of the bay, all trying to get back in a race.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Lemme guess, and you did it with nothing more than a Sharpie marker, a lint roller and a block of wood

So tired of steamy piles of BS like this on these forums.
                2007 Big Twin Turbo 335i + 1989 E30 Track Car

Comment

Yeah, but you have no proof. This man had the balls to post a video of it.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  We blew an engine at the Sebring 14hr in Sept at 11:30 am. We found and engine from one team, then had to hunt down an engine hoist - that took 1.5hr in itself. The car was back in the race at 4pm.

Had to swap the timing belt, water pump, fuel rail, throttle body, even the pilot bearing since the donor was from an auto - no slide hammer or bearing tool, got some bread from someone in the pits to remove it. Pretty much the only things we didn't unbolt on the donor block was the head, pan, and intake manifold.

Then the race was red flagged at 4:30 for 2hr due to lightning. Just our luck. :/
                  This is the way this stuff actually goes. Not what you read on intarwebz forumz. Except if you were me, you would get the new engine in the car and it would have a cracked head. :)
                  Last edited by Cephas; 12-22-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

It's fast if you just drop the subframe and lift the body up over it.

I did it in my single car garage on a car I was parting out with two floor jacks and some cheap moving dollies from Harbor Freight, took maybe an hour or two because I did it by my lonesome (nobody wanted to come help.)
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Takes me about 3 hours, i always just pull the tranny with it :/

jack car up, drain fluids, remove fan clutch, radiator and hoses.
                      get a sandwich, check youtube
                      disconnect fuel, throttle, and pull engine harness thru firewall
                      lay under the car for a while, daydreaming about roller rockers and itbs
                      get the engine hoist ready to pull the engine
                      drop exhaust
                      inspect suspicious rust spot
                      get something else to eat, browse CL, watch youtube video
                      organize tool box
                      unbolt driveshaft and shift linkage, smash knuckle on something
                      unbolt mounts
                      hook up engine hoist and start lifting engine
                      realize i forgot to unbolt the ground cable and power steering hoses
                      Last edited by E30 Wagen; 12-22-2016, 11:50 PM.
                      My Feedback

Comment

Cephas and I have the same luck. that is what happens to me

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
                          Cephas and I have the same luck. that is what happens to me
                          It's funny how people want to ride in your car and all the other fun stuff, but put zero contribution into it.

I had so many of my friends ask for a ride in my E30 after I boosted it. Unless they had some help in it, I normally just tell them some other time. Hell, my wife helped me put the engine and trans back in mine and she has still yet to ride in the car after 2.5 years of it being done.
                          1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                          2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                          2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

I've been on both ends of the time it takes to do thing.

One time we(M3 Ryan and I) swapped m30 motors between two e28's. (swapping a built L-block euro motor to a better chassis) - IIRC, it was 3.5 hours - done and done. So much room - piece of cake.

But I've also took 20 hours to swap a starter with rusted bolts you can't reach, in the dead of winter, and you hate what you're doing - so you give up, go inside, warm up next to a fire, and start again tomorrow.

God bless you folks that work on cars for a living. I couldn't deal with that.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Nice. Took me something like 6 hours with lunch break to pull the engine from my donor car. Guess I'm just slow. I don't like to rush if I don't have to though and I was taking my time.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                              X