Cut off at 5k RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut off at 5k RPM?

I have an 87' 325is 5speed and when it hits up to 5k RPM the car seems to cut the gas off and throws me forward. It doesn't kill the engine, just goes back to normal after the cut off point. Anybody know what this could be or the cause? Thanks
    sigpic
    Strategic Alpine Command

Sure you have an '87 325"is" and not a '87 325"es" ?
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
      Sure you have an '87 325"is" and not a '87 325"es" ?
      yeah, i checked the VIN and its an IS
      sigpic
      Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

Does it cut under full throttle?
        M3 springs w/bilstein hd's, IE 22/19mm sway bars, front IE stress bar, complete suspension rebuild, IS interior.
        Crew chief for BBQ2U Racing: James Crivellone, John Parker, Chris Anderson, Ben Wilson, George Howe, Will Kellog, Jim Cissell
        BBQ2U Racing, Best of Intentions Racing

Comment

Originally posted by bmwsun View Post
          Does it cut under full throttle?
          It does, but does when I'm not as well. I was told I have the wrong chip in it so I'm wondering if that could be the problem, but not sure if it's that or something else.
          sigpic
          Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

If not the chip being wrong maybe the TPS ?
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

if you have a chip for an eta then the rev limiter would be set at around 5200 rpm. but i'm not sure if it would even run with an eta chip.

Comment

My car also seems to hit the rev limit around 5000. I have a 89ix. What should the stock rev limit be? Also when the engine is cold it seems to semi-rev limit around 4000, but once warm goes up to 5000

Comment

7,000 rpm on any "i" engine including iX cars. Are either of you chipped?
                  Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

John just ordered a chip, so we will see if that works.
                    m106 1990 e30
                    e36 daily
                    e32 cruiser

Comment

ordered and put the chip in and still cuts off when i really press down on it, but if im easy on it it will pass the 5k mark. Whatever ill figure the thing out later
                      sigpic
                      Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

Fuel pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                          Fuel pressure?

I would say a faulty FPR. Even a fuel filter issue possibly.
                          Need a part? PM me.

Comment

Random old thread bump. When searching for "M20 cut off at high RPM", I found this thread. Looks like the OP was having an issue with the car long ago, but long story short, my brother now owns this car. Still having the same issue, six years later.

This car has some sort of chip with a 173 DME that someone swapped in along the way. This is a hard cut off. It will not rev past 4500 RPM at full throttle under any type of load. Under partial throttle, you can get it to redline, but that's it. It's not a fuel related cut off, it's electrical...the car bucks and stalls and the instrument cluster gets super fucky until you clutch in and let the revs fall back down under 3000.

I swapped in a 380 DME from a known good running 325i, still the same issue. I connected my Snap On Modis and got the following codes:

Idle Actuator ZWD Winding 2 (code 22)
                            Fuel Pump Relay (code 3)
                            Injector Valves - cyl 1, 3, 5 (code 16)
                            Injector Valves - cyl 2, 4, 6 (code 17)
                            Vehicle Speed Sensor signal (code 29)

I cleared the codes and went and drove the car hard. All the codes came back, except for the speed sensor code.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? We were hoping to have the car ready to take to some track days next month. Thanks.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

This is the exact problem I have! I was too afraid to make a post because I'm new and don't know whats allowed. I have a 90' 325i. Below I'll post all the research I've done from reading forum posts; and from what I can tell is the Wiring Harness is where the problem is coming from. I still don't know how to proceed personally to know if it's the DME, Wiring Harness, or the chip the car came with. My car 2/3 times will go to redline, but that 1/3 will just cut power. (If posting links isn't allowed I'm sorry, I'll change the post)

I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem. I have visited several mechanics, one of them a certified Tech-Inspector for the Driver's...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X