Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need quick response (shift lever install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need quick response (shift lever install)

i'm in the middle of replacing my shiftlever with one from a Z4. the only thing holding me back is that round white plastic piece that goes around the ball of the lever. i see grooves in it and have alligned it with the metal surrounding but cannot get it loose. i know its gotta come out through the top, but is it supposed to come out still connected with the lever or will they come out separately? what should i try to get that white plastic bushing out?[/quote]

Use 2 flathead scredrivers... pinch it, and pull it out. Its really not that hard... take a good look at it, figure out how it works, insert screwdrivers, and pry....

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

alright thanks. thats what ive been trying so far, but pieces of the cup are burried under a lip in the carrier which is making things difficult even though the grooves are alligned. i wouldnt be the least bit sad if that s.o.b. plastic cup got mauled in the process :twisted:

Comment

I just did this.

Under the car, you'll see 4 notches in the plastic cup. Use 2 screwdrivers in an "X" shape, i used a long one and short one, and engage them into the tabs. Use the one screwdriver for leverage while you twist COUNTERCLOCKWISE 90*.

Takes some patience, but you'll get it. You can also use a piece of bent coat hanger in a U shape, and twist that way too.

The shift lever and plastic nylon cup will come out togther, then you pull the old nylon cup off, and put the new one on.
        Nick

87 325 5MT
        02 IS300 5MT

Comment

i ended up just using one screw driver to pry out one tab from the top, then the thing just twisted out. man i love this thing, its notchey as hell, but i still love it. it is slightly off center but i cant feel a difference and it isnt that noticeable. i also had to cut 3/4 inch off the shift knob with a dremel to get it to snap in.

Comment

do you happen to have the part #s?

Comment

i called bma and they gave me more than everything i needed for $56 shipped.

here's what they gave me:
              1x . . . 25 11 7 507 964 - Z4 2.5l Shift Lever $43.81
              2x . . . 25 11 1 220 439 - Spacer Rings (didnt need them, old ones were in good shape)
              1x . . . 25 11 1 220 832 - Rubber Bearing sleeve (didnt use) ~$5 i think
              2x . . . 25 11 1 220 379 - Circlips $0.50 (one extra)
              1x . . . 25 11 1 220 600 - Shift Bushing - $4.00 (white plastic cup)

Comment

GUYS, PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND:

The reason the kit is under 60 bucks shipped is because they are not including the trans shift bushing, and the other rubber bushing that mounts to the tranny tunnel.

The part sugg. retail is $22 for the trans shift bushing, the other is only like a couple bucks.

It is THESE two parts that reduce the side to side play.

How do i know? i swapped to the Z3 1.9, and was disgusted with the results.

A slight reduction in throw from my stock lever with almost 2in cut off the top, no change in notchiness, and was STILL loose side to side.

I don't know about everyone else, but i want my lever to be notchy and very tight. Those bushings will prevent the aluminum console from rotating (the rubber ages and allows LOTS of play), and will make your shift knob feel like a million bucks when you are done.

If you're serious about a SSK kit, make sure you get those parts too. I'll have the PN's tomorrow.

BTW, i'm returning the Z3 1.9 for the Z4 tomorrow. Might even bend the z4 knob if i fell really creative.
                Nick

87 325 5MT
                02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Working...
                X