danger will robinson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

danger will robinson!

sorry this is so long, im just trying to be as discriptive as possible.

today, i went on a mountain run, and on the way up this mountain, im full throttle in 3rd gear (and i had been for a while) when all of a sudden the car just kinda... chokes itself or something. it was pulling great then it just stopped and kinda bucked, im still full on the throttle and it just kinda died for a second, the revs kinda dropped a little (from like 5 grand to 4850) then kicks back up and starts pulling again.
    so i was like.... well taht wasnt good, but whatever! i love stiff suspension! so i just kept chugging up this curvy mountain road and about 20 seconds later it did it again, then 5 seconds after that. so at this point i let off and start to wonder wtf is going on. right as i get to the top of this mountain, the check engine light comes on.
    so i find a place to pull over and check everything out. everything was fine, it idled fine, it sounded fine, it ran fine! so i unpluged the battery and pluged it back up to make the CEL go away (it really bugs me)
    so i headed home, it ran fine all the way back down the mountain and around town, but i had the itch, so i took the back way to my house. i went for another spirted run up a differnet mountain to my house. it ran great the whole way up until the very top when it did it again (only once) but there was no check engine light.
    so by this point the itch went away and was trying to come up with every possible thing that could be causing it.
    well, my friends and i came up with a couple possible problems.
    1. because of the great uphill slopes paired with very hard corners possibly oil in the oil pan was being slung around to each side of the pan and the engine wasnt able to get the oil it needed.
    2. bad O2 sensor
    3. i was kinda low on gas so mabye the gas that was left in the tank was being slung to the back of the tank and it wasnt able to pull any up to the engine
    4. shit ass cloged fuel injectors

2 other important notes:
    every time it did this i was going up steep hills with corners;
    there were no "bad" sounds from the engine before, during, or after.
    98 M3/4/5

Sounds exactly like low fuel, being pushed away from the intank pickup.

Keep her above 1/2!

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I'm no expert, but seeing how you describe this mountain, I take #3 as the cause.

And I take it this has NEVER happened under any circumstance, and that BOTH times you were low on gas?

Stop being cheap, fill the gas tank, and try it again. :D ( Hey at least flat florida has an advantage! 8) )
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

well its good to know that gas was mostlikely the problem, i was defintally less than a 1/4 tank. at the time i was too poor to get gas. i had a 124$ check in my pocket but couldnt cash it so i was plumb outa luck.

but if fuel was the case why did the check engine light come on?

and this has happend one other time about 2 months ago, at the same mountain under the same circumstances. but it only did it once.
        98 M3/4/5

Comment

Check Engine light came on because the engine wasn't getting any fuel. RPM dropped suddenly and the ECU couldn't control it. Hence the check enging light comes on. I know this because of what I just went through with my car.
          Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

Working...
          X