Alternator not charging battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator not charging battery.

So long story short on my m30 swapped car the battery wasn't getting a charge. I test battery it was good i replaced the alternator with a new one and still not getting a charge. I got the power wire on it correctly from the starter and the car starts and there are no shorts in sub harness to alt so its getting 12v. I can test with a mm sometime but I can't imagine its not getting 12v. I have heard that on real early car there was a wire from the gauge cluster that signaled alt to kick on. My car is an 84 so I think it would have this function. I swapped cluster out for a euro could it not be sending signal since its a late model cluster?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Does your battery light come on the dash when in ACC but not running?
    If not, the battery wont charge.

Sorry i misread. If you have a late model cluster, there should be a resistor as well as the battery light so if the light fails it doesnt stop the alternator from charging the battery.
    Last edited by ba114; 09-15-2016, 05:56 PM.
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

ba114 is correct as to the cluster. The alternator needs exciter power from the cluster to work. Check that connection on the alternator with a meter or test light. If power isn't present work back from there to/though the cluster to find out why.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Are you sure the new alternator works? I went through two on the ix before I got one that worked (1 used and 1 rebuilt)
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          Are you sure the new alternator works? I went through two on the ix before I got one that worked (1 used and 1 rebuilt)

It is supposedly tested before they ship it. But I can test it. I havent had time to go out and mess with that car in a while. Poor gal is getting neglected

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
          X