Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical issue?

Hi,

Was driving home from school today, and within a span of 30 seconds, my front left blinker started going really fast, and check panel said my rear lisence plate light was out (which it was not). Check panel button and window trim also fell off at the same time lol. Drove home to look around and the rear light was working as the blinker was on, then after like 10 min I went back out and the left rear light stopped workingfront blinker still going ect). I have heard that this means the light is just out, but could it also be a ground? What would be the first step to take in this electrical issue? On sunday I had my battery out for a couple hours, as I was cleaning my trunk and popping a dent on the rear valence. Upon startup the car kind of idled funky (dont these need to re adjust or something after the battery is disconnected?) was fine after a couple start ups, but also my odometer stopped working the day after. Wasnt the gears...as it started working again the day later...Whats goin on?

Do you have good battery voltage? Low voltage can cause funky things so check that first. If you have good voltage then check the connections to the lights. I would check the rear plate bulb because it is easy to access, and even though it's probably not blown it might be.

Does the blinker bulb turn on? In my car sometimes it would flash fast but nothing would turn on, the plug would fall out for no apparent reason. The fast blinking is a common problem and there are many threads on it though.

It could be a ground, but it sounds like a poor connection to the rear light somewhere (which could be a ground connection), because it goes on and off.

The odometer could be multiple reasons, search for those threads as well. Don't rule out broken gears either. Mine had only one or two teeth broken so it would stop then over a bump or in turns it could catch and work for another revolution
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
      Do you have good battery voltage? Low voltage can cause funky things so check that first. If you have good voltage then check the connections to the lights. I would check the rear plate bulb because it is easy to access, and even though it's probably not blown it might be.

Does the blinker bulb turn on? In my car sometimes it would flash fast but nothing would turn on, the plug would fall out for no apparent reason. The fast blinking is a common problem and there are many threads on it though.

It could be a ground, but it sounds like a poor connection to the rear light somewhere (which could be a ground connection), because it goes on and off.

The odometer could be multiple reasons, search for those threads as well. Don't rule out broken gears either. Mine had only one or two teeth broken so it would stop then over a bump or in turns it could catch and work for another revolution

Hey, Thanks for the response. The bulb doesnt turn on when the blinker moves fast. The other day, my inspection light came on for the first time in the one year that I have owned my car! never lit up once. Also, the blinker was working fine for a day and now today twice it happened. Il check the voltage on the batt tomorrow.
      I did have the battery out for a day and both rear light bulb panels out because I had the carpet out. Il go do some more stuff with it tomorrow.

Comment

The first step is to check the bulb. Your turn signals blink fast when one bulb is out. So either one of your bulbs is out or there is corrosion on the contacts. If you had the rear light panels out and now your turn signal is weird, sounds like you found the problem. Look on the connection where the panel plugs into the harness

Our ecu's are self-learning, and will adjust stuff to accommodate for your driving style. When you remove the battery and let the car sit for 5 or 10 mins, it resets the ecu. Just drive it more and it'll be fine.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
        X