Project Basketcase *Now featuring progress...*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Basketcase *Now featuring progress...*

Why would I call it that you may be asking yourself? Well because I went and violated one of my own rules and purchase someone's unfinished project! Reason being, I liked the color of the car, lol. I found her on craigslist with an m50 plopped in her and paid very little to be honest. The kid couldn't get the car to fire and had given up on it.

This is how I found her. Judging by the state of affairs the car was in when I found it I knew it was going to need some serious TLC. Just look at all those jumper boxes why not just get a battery?

After some trouble shooting with my trusty fluke 88 :up: cleaning up the wiring and spending a lot of time on R3v researching possible problems I determined it to be a bad DME. Found one on eBay and ordered it right away. Also had to buy a set of injectors because for some reason one was missing. No one was selling just on injector either, so now I have 5 injectors floating around. A few days later the "new" DME showed up and after plugging it in, a little bit of cranking and some patience she fired up and ran nice and smooth.

Safe and sound in my garage. No more jumper packs and random crap sitting in the engine bay.

I plan to turn it into a fun weekend driver and track car. I'll post more pictures as I go along but I'm sure its nothing you guys haven't seen before. I'll actually have more to post tomorrow, don't feel like uploading more photos to this stupid mac book right now.
    Last edited by TheRob; 11-27-2018, 12:33 PM.

Is your real name Corey Hart? Cause with a color like that you are going to need to wear your sunglasses at night!

Buying someone elses project can go two ways, yours sounds like its currently going the correct way! nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      Is your real name Corey Hart? Cause with a color like that you are going to need to wear your sunglasses at night!

Buying someone elses project can go two ways, yours sounds like its currently going the correct way! nicely done.
      Yeah hennarot can be a bit, well, loud. Though yeah, so far so good, a few things here and there but nothing that can't be fixed. Definitely took a chance on it though.

Comment

Good to see the project started off well for you.

Keep us updated!
        1990 325i
        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
        sigpic

Comment

Few more things to add. I've been slowly taking the car apart and trying to find what needs to be replaced or rebuilt to get Hubert ready. I pulled the brakes off while working on dropping the subframe because one of the calipers was frozen and the rotors were shot. I'm going to disassemble them, clean and inspect to see if I can rebuild them. However, the rust colored brake fluid makes me think they might be too far gone.

I finished pulling the subframe out and taking it apart so I can take it to work and sand blast it and maybe send it out for powder coating. I already have new bushings on the way from Condor refresh it and get rid of those tired old rubber bushings.

I still have a little while to go before Ol' Hubert Farnsworth is ready for the street but hopefully not too long. I had an overly ambitious plan to have it ready for bimmer fest when I got it back in July last year but money and time got in the way...maybe it can still happen.

Comment

this is good news

1991 325i
            flickr
            @sambhaskins

Comment

So my bushings showed up from Condor Speed Shop about a week ago. I've been busy so I haven't had time to work on the car until Friday. So I started by getting the old bushings out, which, with regards to the trailing arms was simple. Though the subframe bushings put up a little more of a fight. It was nothing a little heat and a big hammer couldn't take care.

Condor drew an awesome T-rex on the package and threw in an awesome camo beer koozie.

Big C clamp and a socket made short work of the old RTABs

All done, time to clean

Old subframe bushings out

Started working on the reinforcements for the subframe

Made some marks, cut some metal, drilled some holes and then proceeded to weld her up.

Finished up the reinforcements and cleaned up and threw on some paint. I just cleaned up the control arms, under all the dirt and grease was actually pretty clean. All I gotta do now is bolt it all back together and bolt it back under the car. I'm currently searching for a new diff though. The previous owner thought they were the drift king of Orange County and welded the diff and got slag on various different parts of the ring and pinion.

I also did the FCABs.

Thats all for now. Thanks for watching
              Last edited by TheRob; 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I like where this is going!
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Cool build and I admire you for picking up someone else his project and getting it to run so quickly
                  Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

time for the yearly update :)
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Its been a while since I've updated this nonsense build thread. Still not sure what I got myself into here. I've finished most of the to-do list I've made for myself. There's still a lot of little stuff left and one massive thing which is going to be getting it through the BAR...if that fails I have other ways but that's really not the goal. I have more photos of the work I've done that I haven't uploaded yet. I'll get around to it eventually. I've been extra motivated lately to finish the car. There are many canyons that need carving, meets and cars and coffees to take this hoopty to.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is deciding on a set of wheels. I like the idea of keeping the bottelcaps but its seems like a good set of 14 inch tires is impossible to find.

Rolled ol' Hubert outside for some vitamin D

Not sure how but there was a broken stud for the intake manifold. Easy enough to sand flat, drill and use an easy out.

The front calipers came out good and have been rebuilt.

Removed the plastidip from the rear bumper, I hate plastidip. Its everyones answer to everything. Then it fades and looks like crap.

And here we have the all new Hover30

Rear brakes reassembled and the subrames back in the car. All new stainless garagistic brake lines

And here we have some of the terrible things the former owner did

Someone thought it was a good idea to weld a carriage bold to a cheap piece of galvanized L bracket. Then use it as a mount for their "race" harness

This sad attempt at some kind of strut tower brace was welded into the trunk. Not very well either.

I'm assuming they didn't have the proper socket for bellhousing bolts, so ya know, just weld a random nut to it.

This one is my favorite, a very sad attempt at relocating the brake booster. I think they used one of those can openers thats part of a swiss army knife

I made this piece to repair the damaged area.

Last edited by TheRob; 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Looking good! You do wonder what goes through peoples minds when you pick up a project like this.

Comment

Wow. That is an impressive example of what not to do.

Was the entire piece of sheet metal behind the back seat cut out with that same can opener too? Strange.

You are making great progress. Fixing these problems sucks time but it will be worthwhile in the end.

MJ

Comment

jesus this car is well deserving of the build title. I could prob make better welds with some coat hangers and a battery tender.

The Build:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I can name some more ridiculous things that I've found. The car is truly a labor of love at this point, the amount of time and energy put into it will make it that much more rewarding. I'm pretty sure the majority of pieces cut out of this car was done with a pair of dull tin snips being operated by a blind monkey.

The steering rack wasn't bolted in all the way and both the bolts were different sizes. One was long enough that it was hitting part of the engine mount. I fixed that promptly.

The original steering wheel was somehow cut off the hub. Then they proceeded to drill three holes in the hub to fit cheap bolts through to attach an aftermarket cheap crap steering wheel. The bolt holding the hub to the column was also loose.

The main power wire going to the underhood fuse box had been cut at some point and badly repaired with a crimp connector that was about three sizes too big. I discovered this when I gave the cable a very gentle tub and it then became two pieces.

I can keep going but I think that's enough for now. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X