No announcement yet.

89 325is | Alpine White | 5-Lug, S52 etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made an order to get the rear 5 lug conversion redone using my old trailing arms

Interested to see the quality of the Optimal hubs. They're a German company, not sure where they do their manufacturing. The price is unbeatable, I looked around for used OEM hubs and it would have cost more, if people were even willing to sell them, most wanted to sell the rear as a whole.

Got a front E36 dust collar to measure that and see how it would fit in

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
      The one thing I can think of to help with that would be to tap the hole from the back side. Start with a thread starting tap, then switch to a closed end hole tap and stop just where the threads need to be for the spindle

Thanks putting the drawing up though! Good to have something to cross reference, I need to get a hub to get actual measurements for, my model just has internet based dimensions.
      Just an FYI, I am sure you know this, but a bottom end tap is still going to have a taper to it... like this

To get a true thread to the bottom tap you will have to have one made, my machinist has made one for me before when I needed one, he just grinds down an existing tap

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
      Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Trunk was leaking when it was raining last week. I'm pretty sure it was getting under the spoiler and going in the mounting holes. I've taken it off once before and the plastic nuts that hold in on dont have the same holding force after one use.
        Anyway it was a good time to repaint the spoiler and put it back on with new hardware.
        Paint from paintscratch seems like a pretty good match.

Marks in the paint from years of wear, got a little better with some polish but won't be going away:

Pretty good amount of orange peel but after some polish I think it will be acceptable, the paint isn't my main concern anyway. Good color match for 27 yr old white

Comment

Nice, man.

Check out automotivetouchup.com as well. They sell colormatch paint for cheaper than paintscratch and it's just as good, if not better. I used it to paint my shaved engine bay.

However, any color match paint you get from a rattle can usually doesn't ever harden like real automotive paint. BUT, you can get 2 part rattle cans now. I plan on getting my next paint from here (if I don't have an air compressor and paint booth set up before).

66 Auto Color is a certified House of Kolor distributor. We specialize in custom-mixed paints for automobiles, motorcycles, boats and more! Call or Click today!
          P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
            Nice, man.

Check out automotivetouchup.com as well. They sell colormatch paint for cheaper than paintscratch and it's just as good, if not better. I used it to paint my shaved engine bay.

However, any color match paint you get from a rattle can usually doesn't ever harden like real automotive paint. BUT, you can get 2 part rattle cans now. I plan on getting my next paint from here (if I don't have an air compressor and paint booth set up before).

http://www.66autocolor.com/Auto-Spra...ustompaint.htm
            I used the spray max clear coat like you linked, best spray can clear I've used, didn't know you could get colors. I have an air compressor so if I ever need to paint something much bigger than this I'd invest in a sprayer.

Comment

Gauge Cluster Post:

I've previously replaced the odometer gears and SI batteries on separate occasions.
              Due to check engine light bulb and left side night time illumination bulbs being burned out it was time to take the cluster out again. Much easier to do this if you have a deep dish steering wheel as it does not need to come off.

Added black trim rings, went back and forth on painting the needles but decided to leave them white.

Comment

Recent picture

Looking around more at 5-lug conversions I saw this one from gnmzl on stanceworks.

Looks like a redrilled rotor to work with the lower offset he got. I'm gonna CAD up something similar.

Comment

Loving this so far. How do those style 5s fit up front with your offset? What tire are you running? I'd love it if someone produced a low-offset-adding front 5 lug kit.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
                    Looking around more at 5-lug conversions I saw this one from gnmzl on stanceworks.

Looks like a redrilled rotor to work with the lower offset he got. I'm gonna CAD up something similar.
                    I started out modeling something based on this setup, I think it ended up being really low on material @ the step, I don't remember exactly why I got away from it. It could have been spacing for my e46 m3 rotors.
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      Loving this so far. How do those style 5s fit up front with your offset? What tire are you running? I'd love it if someone produced a low-offset-adding front 5 lug kit.
                      Have 205/45R16, mostly because that is what 90% of people with style 5s are running. I think I would have prefered a 205/50R16 for the extra ground clearance. I want to run a 225/45R16 though. Fits pretty well up front with this setup kinda pokes on one side and more flush on the other, my camber isn't terribly even side to side in the front until I get camber plates. Rolled the rear fenders a good amount but not the front and it hasn't been rubbing.

Comment

2pc Spindle adapter design

Weld here. Has to be tight to not interfere with bearing

Challenge would be making sure this face stays flat.

Whole bunch of welding here will hold this sleeve on.

This should add up to just a 2mm or so offset increase. I think I found a rotor that can work with a little machining as well.

Comment

I think I'm on the right track...

Comment

Brakes are now planned out

Front (+2.5-4.5mm offest depending on adapter)
                            E36 M3 Caliper (60mm piston)
                            302x28 rotor

Rear (+2.5mm offset)
                            E46 325i Caliper (40mm piston)
                            E46 294x19 rotor

Gotta start machining some things. My new rear parts should be in soon.

Anyone have recommendations for a TIG welder? Thinking about getting one, AHP Alphatig 200x seems good for the price but still a little suspect in terms of quality.

Comment

I thought this was a build thread, but it appears to be a geometry lesson.
                              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                                I thought this was a build thread, but it appears to be a geometry lesson.
                                Isn't design half the fun? Anyone can turn a wrench
                                Last edited by HertE30; 01-18-2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X