Potential Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Restoration Project

I think that at some point in anyones life, we given thought and have toyed with the idea of learning to fly. I mean flying beyond just being a passenger on a commercial airline flight. God know Ive spent countless hours in a wide variety of commercial airliners.

I mean I know how to fly R/C airplanes, actually electric flying wings, but thats not really flying. However it is good for developing hand eye coordination.

One of my biggest deterents to learning how to fly was money and time. LOL - now I got got the money, but am somewhat sqeezed for time.

Last night my brother in law came over and was raving about two airplane rides he got this weekend.

Although he was a passenger, he did fly the planes from the right hand seat. I should also mentioned that Mark is a liscensed pilot and owns his own aircraft.

As with anyone, life got busier and took him away from flying for about 10 years. In that time, his 1977 Cessna 150 has sat idle at a local airport. As with any motorrized vehicle, time takes it toll. We all know of and have seen the proverbial car sitting under a cover next to the garage or behind it waiting for a second chance.

Apparently, the ride alongs got his juices flowing again. That combined with the fact that his business are starting to develop nicely he wants to get his plane airworthy again.

Although hes got some things to look into, he thinks that the plane can be returned to a flyable state relatively quickly. Hoewver he feels that the Cessna needs a general exterior overhaul - light restoration - a tune up not to mention some new radio equipment..

I mentioned to him that if needs any help I would be happy to assist. In return he would teach me how to fly.

I will hear back from him soon to see if he wants to proceed. If its a go Ill get to apply my mechanical skills learned from working on cars on something totally different.

Should be cool.

I prefer the roads to the skies...I got dibs on the 318iS if you ever decide to stay high and mighty up in the clouds :D

Comment

Cessena 150's are AWESOME planes to learn how to fly in. Flying is a very expensive venture and can consume a large amount of time and money. I'd say go for it, but work out some sort of formal agreement, even though he is family. For example, you dont want to invest heavily and then have the plane sold.
      Below the radar...

Comment

or probably the Pipers...more easy right?
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
          .....I got dibs on the 318iS if you ever decide to stay high and mighty up in the clouds
          LOL

Originally posted by UNHCLL
          Cessena 150's are AWESOME planes to learn how to fly in. Flying is a very expensive venture and can consume a large amount of time and money. I'd say go for it, but work out some sort of formal agreement, even though he is family. For example, you dont want to invest heavily and then have the plane sold.
          Yeah I know, I appreciate the advice. Basically, I offered to invest time and sweat.
          If he decides to do it, Ill put in as much effort as he does.

Comment

Working...
          X