Aux Fan Always On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux Fan Always On

When I turn the key the aux fan comes on and stays on when the car starts. How did this happen? I am embarrassed to say. It was working normally until one day a few weeks ago I was a hurry to go out and had to jump the car because the battery had drained after sitting for several weeks. I accidentally crossed the jumper cables and had them crossed for about 3 minutes connected to the other car which was running. I tried starting my car, but when it didn't do anything I figured out that the cables were crossed, reconnected them correctly and got the cart down to the shop for some painting work. Got a new battery and the car started fine. Car is 1990 325is.

Picked up the car up a couple of days ago and noticed the dash lights and OBC were out. Changed a few fuses at the shop which seemed to fix everything. Drove home fine, but I noticed the aux fan was on high. Next day as soon the key was turned the aux fan would go on. Searched this forum and read up on relays. If I take out the K6 relay (high speed) the aux fan doesn't come on when I turn the key. Here's some info on the relays in my car

0332014456 in K1 (orange)

61311375474 in K2, K4, K5, K6, and K7 (orange)
    0332234401 in K3 (metal)

61311374631 in K8 (black)

Pelican list 61361378238 multi purpose orange as the part number for my car. My local parts store had the Bosch 0332014456 (orange) which also has 1378238 printed on the side. This is the relay that has a little handle on top. I bought 2 new ones and put them in K1 (normal speed) and K6 (high speed).

My electric mirrors have never worked along with the electric locks, otherwise no other electrical issues.

Other than being annoying, will it hurt anything to drive around with the aux fan on? I am still driving my wife's old E39 so I don't need to solve this right away, but I would like to switch back to the E30 soon. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Wait, so does it stay on permanently or does it just keep going if you don't turn it off when you cut the ignition? K7 cuts power to the fan when the car is off and the engine is cranking.

1986 327i
    transaction feedback
    DIY thing
    meh

Comment

Whoops, aux fan, not blower. Probably won't cause any immediate problems other than higher power draw and cooler running, hurting mpg. If it's not overcooling the only thing you prob have to worry about is burning out the aux fan. Not an expert, anyone else chime in?

1986 327i
      transaction feedback
      DIY thing
      meh

Comment

Coming in late to this thread searching for something else, this might help someone else.
        If you push the snowflake button does it go off?

Comment

Working...
        X