getting screwed for an accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting screwed for an accident

here's a familliar story; almost the same thing happened to Dave (davelength.com).
    I am driving toward the Bay Bridge (the one he got hit on) from Fremont. I had just been karting for an hour or so, so my reactions were faster than usual. In the fast lane, going 90, the car in front of me slams on his brakes. I do the same, and we come to a COMPLETE STOP. I stalled, because I was bracing myself with my left foot, and I am looking in my mirror to see if I am going to get hit. Sure enough, a saturn (POS) can't stop in time and slams into my recently tucked rear bumper. It's a bit of a jolt, but they were only going about 10mph by this time, so with my head back against the headrest, I wasn't too badly jarred. I kept my foot on the brake, and the saturn pushes me forward to hit the accord in front of me. My license plate screws put two little vertical scratches into his bumper, I see as I get out of the car. I look behind, and see that the saturn has its ENTIRE front bumper mangled and drooping to the ground. I exchange numbers and plates wit the guy in front of me, and then go to talk to the saturn driver, who at this point rolls up his window and takes off! I ask the friend of the accord driver (the driver doesn't speak english) whether they saw the other guy, and whether they think he is responsible for the accident. The friend says "yeah, we saw him hit you and push you into us."

But they make an insurance claim anyway.There's no damage, so I am wondering what the hell they want from me. I guess I have to sic Progressive on them and hope I don't have to pay for anything.
    Ugh. I don't want to deal with this crap, even if I do get off free. It'l mean higher insurance, most likely. (I pay about 600USD/year, am 26, and have never gotten as much as a parking ticket.)

Does anyone think that I have a chance at getting out of this based on the "third car" excuse? No? Didn't think so. Maybe it'll help with the insurance company though.

To Be Continued...

erm, I guess this should be in community. sry.

You arent at fault and thats all there is too it. Not talking to the saturn first was a major mistake tho. In your case i would not of hessitated to get in my car, run them down, and off the road if need be.

then again.. I am a ruthless bastard.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      then again.. I am a ruthless bastard.
      wish you'd been there. I could've used some saturn-detonating Jordan-flames.

Comment

once you get the bastard sue them for neck and back injury.

Go to a doctor and get an xray, claim neck and back pain (there's no way they can prove your not in pain) to get it all documented. You'll have a pretty good case against that saturn for property and medical damage.

I was in the saturn's position so I should know. :roll:
        ________
        List Of Ferrari Engines History
        Last edited by ///M42 sport; 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM.
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

The guy who hit you and ran is now guilty of felony hit and run. He probably didn't have insurance(a requirement in CA) so he took off. I have heard really good things about progressive insurance so I wouldn't worry to much. In CA the usual rule is 1 ticket and one accident that is not your fault before your rates get hit. How much damage was done to your car? THe Saturns are built to fold like an accordian when in an accident.My wife had one years ago and I hated driving it!
          Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport

Go to a doctor and get an xray, claim neck and back pain (there's no way they can prove your not in pain) to get it all documented. You'll have a pretty good case against that saturn for property and medical damage.
            Your mentality is the reason insurance rates are skyrocketing. Grow up~!
            I do feel bad for him, that's a very $hitty situation to be faced with. However, the bottom line is he should have covered his butt ASAP. I would find it odd that the third party is not getting out of their car. Let the people in front of you worry about getting your info.

Accidents are never good. I hope everything works out for you!

Comment

Progressive was good to me. I just got a letter saying they are taking it to arbitration because the gay guys insurance company blamed me for 50% for going through a green light without looking (although there was nobody in the intersection when I entered it).

They seem to think they will win the arbitration hands down, hopefully Ill get my $500 back soon. Plus they paid to fix my shitty car, twice what it was worth.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

Begin Rant
                What's he going to sue them for? They obviously didn't have insurance, and if they can't afford or get insurance what's going to be left for him to take? Out litigous society dictates to sue the bastard. That is why all of us pay rediculous amounts for inurance in this country!

End Rant
                Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

[quote="Ryan Stewart"]Progressive was good to me. {/quote]
                  I have heard really good things about progressive insurance so I wouldn't worry to much
                  This is good news for me, I am happy to hear that Progressive has done a good job. We have our motos insured through them too, and they have always seemed good, but I have never had to try to get out of an "at fault" accident. I called the guy's insurance co. (farmers) to explain, and they say that they won't hold me liable, but they won't pay for any damages to MY car. Which is fine- there wasn't any. Well, the saturn took a little of the black paint off the back bumper, but that was crap paint anyway. I sprayed it before tucking it in (drilling the shocks).
                  I hope that saturn's bumper fell off and got stuck under his car. I didn't need the stress, even though it's solved amicably.

Comment

Originally posted by rward325
                    Begin Rant
                    What's he going to sue them for? They obviously didn't have insurance, and if they can't afford or get insurance what's going to be left for him to take? Out litigous society dictates to sue the bastard. That is why all of us pay rediculous amounts for inurance in this country!

End Rant

Let me explain my situation. I rearended a Lincoln towncar which resulted in they having a scuffed bumper and my car being totalled. The damage was minimal and a couple months later, she sues me for medical expenses, property damage, and rental car expenses while the car was being fixed at the dealership for 5K. My luck that her husband is a lawyer so you better believe he went out of his way to get every penny out of me. There are a lot of details that I am leaving out but in court she testified that she is soo mentally distraught that she couldn't leave a normal life after the accident. This case is STILL ongoing 5 Fucking years later!!! If there are scumbags out there like this, what makes you think that most people give a shit about how insurance will affect everyone else when they have a chance to bankroll?!

Before the accident I was the kind of guy that if I was involved in a accident not caused by me and wasn't hurt, then I would expect my car to be fixed, end of story, no frivilous lawsuit bullshit. Boy did I learn my lesson!
                    ________
                    Hot Box Vaporizer
                    Last edited by ///M42 sport; 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM.
                    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                    X