Biggest PITA job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest PITA job.

The title explains it, what is the biggest pain in the ass job you have done on a car. This dosent mean the longes necessarily, just the most awkward or annoying.

To start it off, im going to say replacing the reverse light switch. Its way up high on the tranny, I was using some short jack stands, I couldnt actually see what I was doin I just had to use touch. I couldnt get the rachet to go in the reverse direction because it got stuck on the switch and the body panel type thing. And it was fucking cold.

I bombed Korea every night.

I guess I'd have to say the auto->manual swap. It was all hand tools and on jackstands. Although the starter bolts were really the only pain. It went very smooth though - I couldn't have asked for a much better time. I enjoyed the hell out of it actually. :)

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Removing the '89s sunroof crank. My father was able to break it in a way that it hung loose, but that wouldn't come off even if you took out all the screws. A true PITA job that after one hour trying to work out that problem I finally solved it by force.

Cant say the results were the best but it came out nevertheless.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Wow, that is a hard one to answer

I think it´s the time we put a new oil pan gasket on stefáns motor, he didn´t want to loosen it and raise it it took forever, and the hoist was hanging above the engine,

My s50b30 first swap, it took forever also, and often lack of working space made things even worse, the latest swap was a piece of cake compared to first time,
        Gunni
        @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

I'd say my clutch job. Its not that bad just very physical and lack of a lift just kills everything including morale..

NOTHING however beats the sweet success of completing a PITA job, Nothing beat the joy and smiles .. !! Driving home @ 3am from Bill's place after completing the task was sooo sweet...I was however so exhausted I had to stop by a rest stop for a quick nap!

Comment

Well, since I haven't had my car all that long... It would have to be taking a fire-burnt engine/car + a t-boned, pretty badly wrecked car and swapping parts and more parts, for like 2-3 months, to get to what I currently drive.

What makes it worse is that the guy who had the fire-burnt car left it outside, with one window down (because he didnt know how to use the manual role-up thingy or whatever) and pretty much ruined the interior... so interiors where also swapped. I have a whole bunch of pics I could post sometime, showing the transformation, kinda...
            Brandon

Comment

The rear wheel bearings, only took 3 days but getting the FUCKS out is the worst thing ive done yet. I ended up using an 8lb sledge. :shock:

Brian

Comment

well, i havnt done that many mods, but of what i have done.... suspension. that was a pain because i had shit ass spring compressors and couldnt get the rear springs in very easily... at all.

edit: wait no! defintally when my motor and transmission mounts broke and shifted the motor enough so that the power steering pump pully cut one of my radiator hoses and ran my engine dry of fluid. so 60 miles away from my house at 9:30 (coming back from teh track) with no jack (saving weight) me and some buds finda way to jimmy rig the radiator junk back together so i could drive home that night. took 3 hours of frustration, painful brainstorming, and squeasing under the car. (which we ran up on a curb to get enough room to bairly fit)
                it sucked but i learned alot so its all good.
                98 M3/4/5

Comment

Rebuilt my entire e30 top to bottom, and everywhere in between.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Replacing an alternator, Vbelt, power steering belt and AC belt on the side of the road in early February, in about 12 degree weather, before the wind chill that made it about 10 below.

That was fuuuuun.

-Charlie
                    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                    FYYFF

Comment

Changing a transmission with the car on Jackstands outside while it was raining. This was back in the day like 1980. The car, a 1974 pinto with a V8 in it. The things we'll do when we are young!
                      Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

Replacing the brake master cyliner on my 85 318i.
                        Putting the starter bolts back on my 86 528e Auto.
                        Clutch Job on my 88 325is, I'm laying under the car with the tranny on my chest and my mom is trying to talk to me while I lift the tranny into place. NOT FUN at all.
                        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Tranny housing bolts are the most annoying to get out, with not the right tools, and most time taking and annoying on my list is, oil pan especially when car sits on jack stands and your hands get tired as from unbolting around around 45 bolts and putting them back on.
                          95' M3.
                          90' 325i Turboed.
                          87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

replacing Subframe and rear control arm bushings wow what a job that was it took us about 10 hours :twisted:

Comment

My o my there is too many and more to come.

This was more of a pain in the hand then the ass!

I think one was when i was trying to remove the windsheild wiper motor from my parts car and that helped me gain 4 stitches to the hand, sliced open the skin right next to my pinky. What fun that was.

I managed to snap a picture of the wound and it was kind of hard to do and that is why the picture is not that clear.

i had to have the stupid stitches in for 10 days but i have had worse before such as 27 stitches to the leg.

Worst off it was my right hand and i am right handed

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X