OFFICIAL: Off-Roading and 4x4 Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a wraith 32 inch bar....

That said I am very happy with the cheaper ipf lights and will likely upgrade them this spring
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

So Wschnitzel and I are planning to do a weekend wheeling/camping trip in/around Colorado/4 Corners mid-May-ish. Anyone else interested? Could be a fun r3v off-road get together. I would bank on a 3 day trip, probably.

I'm going to start doing more research into good trails to do. But if anyone has any recommendations, shoot them my way.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Might be down. As long as it's not May 12 – 14. I'm planning to be at Overland Expo then.

Here's the new rig guys:

If it gets taken down soon: http://archive.is/oy5WH
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Lmao thats the exact weekend.

May be able to do weekend after instead, I gotta plan though, may be doing a lot of camping.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
            Lmao thats the exact weekend.

May be able to do weekend after instead, I gotta plan though, may be doing a lot of camping.
            Haha, I was hoping not but figured I'd mention it now.

Expo details: http://www.overlandexpo.com/west/

I'd try to make it if it was the weekend after for sure. I plan to be overlanding/camping as much as possible this year.

If anyone is going to the expo, let me know. I think I'm going to do the weekend camping pass.
            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

That expo looks really cool. I'll definitely plan on attending next year if it's held again
              I assume it's an annual thing.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Yeah don't think I wanna drive down that far this year, but looks fun.
                willschnitz

Comment

Devo,

Considering that the Overland Expo is roughly 8 miles from my house, I am going to be there.

I have been contemplating about adding overlandy stuff to the Tundra, but haven't made any decisions yet. Maybe the Expo will help sway my opinion.

I may be down for the weekend after as well. The 4 corners isn't too far from me. Would depend on dates, as vacation time is mostly planned out for this year, and the terrain we would be covering. I have full faith in my rig, but busting a tie rod several hundred miles from home is not a good time.

Hopefully we can work something out!
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                    So Wschnitzel and I are planning to do a weekend wheeling/camping trip in/around Colorado/4 Corners mid-May-ish. Anyone else interested? Could be a fun r3v off-road get together. I would bank on a 3 day trip, probably.

I'm going to start doing more research into good trails to do. But if anyone has any recommendations, shoot them my way.
                    I'm in boys. I think I'm out of school the week before.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                      Might be down. As long as it's not May 12 – 14. I'm planning to be at Overland Expo then.

Here's the new rig guys:

If it gets taken down soon: http://archive.is/oy5WH
                      ho-leeeeeee fuuuuuuuck!!!!!

really? damn. what are your plans with it? 4-i mean 6 wheel drive?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok....for the hell of it, here is my dream "truck".

most of you already know i have a huge hard on for unimog 416 doka's.

here is a pic in case you aren't familiar.

for good measure, here is another one:

the problem is that a restorable one in decent shape is north of 40k. unfortunately, it is basically a roadworthy tractor good for about 45mph. a restomodded one that has decent power and can do over 70 on the highway will cost over 150k. unless i win the lotto, i have no plans to throw that kind of money at a toy.

as a compromise, please allow me to introduce the isuzu npr/nqr crew cab. also marketed as the chevy/gmc w3500 or w4500.

they didn't make very many crew cabs and they cost a lot more than the very common single cab, but they are definitely out there. in my opinion, the best years are from about 2002 to 2005. i prefer the look of the cab in those years and they also have cruise control and power (front) windows. the newer models look like an angry insect.

this truck will be my basis for frame and body. the frame in the example above is about 2 feet too long. that cage between the box and the cab needs to be taken out and shortened.

for drivetrain, a 2003/early 2004 dodge 1 ton cummins will have the engine/transmission(possibly the transfer case harvested.)

47re auto trans

the axles i'm looking at are military surplus MRAP. if you ever watch the "diesel brothers" on cable, these are the units they use in their 6 door pickup builds. those fuck heads call them "20 ton" but that is not accurate. the are actually 9000lb axles. so...4.5 ton i guess. if you feel like googling them, they are called "axletech 4000". they are actually really cheap and can be purchased brand new from surplus outlets for around 2500.00/pr.

may or may not use this axletech transfer case. i am kind of leaning toward using it.

there are also awesome military surplus wheels available for pretty darn cheap.

these are michelin zxl run flats from the same vehicle. less than 500.00/wheel assembly and the tires are said to last 100,000 miles.

here is an mrap that stepped on an iud.

the truck i'm going to build won't be lifted 3 feet in the air. i want to add the same type of fender as the unimog has, modify the wheel arch on the npr cab so i can have the cab and fenders sitting about 3 inches above the tire. i plan to run an airbag suspension to improve the ride and also for when the going gets rough, i can inflate the bags to lift the chassis up 6 inches or so.
                      Last edited by flyboyx; 01-25-2017, 06:44 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Id take one of those newer unimogs with the more angly front end no question, so dope.
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          That expo looks really cool. I'll definitely plan on attending next year if it's held again
                          I assume it's an annual thing.
                          Will be my first year going, but yep, it's an annual thing. It's gonna be epic.

Still probably down for 4 corners thing the week after unless I go bankrupt because I buy something I shouldn't at the expo.

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                          Yeah don't think I wanna drive down that far this year, but looks fun.
                          Totes understand, next year.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                          Devo,

Considering that the Overland Expo is roughly 8 miles from my house, I am going to be there.

I have been contemplating about adding overlandy stuff to the Tundra, but haven't made any decisions yet. Maybe the Expo will help sway my opinion.

I may be down for the weekend after as well. The 4 corners isn't too far from me. Would depend on dates, as vacation time is mostly planned out for this year, and the terrain we would be covering. I have full faith in my rig, but busting a tie rod several hundred miles from home is not a good time.

Hopefully we can work something out!
                          Awesome! The expo WILL sway your opinion OR... I'll give you a ride in my diesel land cruiser and maybe I can convince you to have a separate rig for overlandy stuff?

By buying a diesel land cruiser outfit exactly how you want it?

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                          Ah yeah.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          ho-leeeeeee fuuuuuuuck!!!!!

really? damn. what are your plans with it? 4-i mean 6 wheel drive?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. New rig only has 4 wheels. Pix sooner or later. I completely agree with you on the unimogs though, they are outstanding. Throw a box with everything in the back that you need (they have some pretty amazing boxes that you can throw on unimogs/MANN/MAC/etc trucks) that contain everything you need to drive around the world. In fact, I'm sure there will be a few at the expo. It's gonna be like a freaking candy store. I'd love a mog some day, or ya know... know someone who has one in case of zombies/end of the world.
                          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 01-25-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I kinda want to to go to Expo, but I dont think I am going to have too much time this year, to do anything other than work, and I have too much crap to do to my 80 when I get home before any long trips, wife has been DDing all winter so I am sure there will be some things to catch up on. Plus I want to get my Slinky set up before I do any long trips
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

maybe i should take a look at this expo too.

i have been looking at Lance slide in truck type campers to put on the back of this. they are really well made. depending on the model, you can get them with slide outs, generators and bathrooms. you can buy a 6 or 7 year old lance for about 10k. thats a lot cheaper than the 60k those survival units cost.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                                yeah boiii

Comment

Working...
                                X