Custom Exhaust for M20 IE Shorty Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Exhaust for M20 IE Shorty Headers

I have a set of ie shorty headers that i'm waiting to put on the car until i figure out my exhaust situation. currently i have stock manifolds to a ghetto 2.5 in pipe ( it's the best i could come up with PO installed a universal cat and hacked up the whole exhaust system). no cat, no resonator, then it tapers down to 1.75 in to a single in and out generic muffler. sounds ok at low rpms but it feels chocked down above 4k.

my plan is to use the ie shortys and run a 2.5 in catless pipe all the way back. what is a good muffler for that combo? i want something a little more agressive than stock but not too loud. I also don't want it to sound like a ricer.

I've always had a really good experience with vibrant. I plan on using them for my exhaust whenever I get around to it. Even on the 4 cylinder, I never really got much drone, and it had a "full" exhaust note; not pitchy at all
    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
    -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

I've been looking at youtube videos and the flowmaster 40 series sounds pretty good. all those cars have cats though.

Comment

you will also need a good resonator if you dont want it to be ricey, vibrant ultra quiet gets good reviews. you can also use another small muffler in place of a resonator which will do a similar job
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Place the Y pipe under the center support bearing
          Run two resonators before the Y pipe
          And put a vibrant streetpower out back

Comment

Originally posted by 3vilE30 View Post
            Place the Y pipe under the center support bearing
            Run two resonators before the Y pipe
            And put a vibrant streetpower out back
            P.O. took that option off the table. looks like it meets somewhere in the transmission area. i would hate to have to hack it up again.

I also need to fit some kind of flex coupling on it

Comment

IE Short headers and IE exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABKCICxpV8
              Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Working...
              X