Need SMOG Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need SMOG Help!

Hello so I have an 88 325 and took it to get smogged it failed horrible did a full tune up oil change spark plugs and o2 sensor. had it re-tested and still really bad. I've check for vacuum leaks cant find any and its got a miss at idle but runs fine doesn't lack power. someone said it could be a Cat but thats a pricey MAYBE. if anyone knows about smog and these M20 help is greatly appreciated. Heres the test results...

Hard to diagnose remotely but I'd wager the injectors aren't too clean. If you have a fairly low idle speed and squirt gun injector spray patterns, you won't burn off the fuel well at lower rpm. Might be the cause of your miss as well.

Comment

My 1990 525 also failed smog in CA. Even though I did a top end overhaul, it still failed NOx by 7 ppm. Frustrating to say the least. I replaced oxygen and temperature sensors, intake valve guides, valve job, etc.
      I eventually decided to buy a brand new BMW catalytic converter from Germany ($1250 delivered). It passed with 0 HC ppm and 0 NOx ppm.
      As such eye popping price, you should get it just for smog season and use the old one all the time.

Comment

Working...
      X