car vibration as if it is stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car vibration as if it is stalling

ever accelerate in high gear at too low of a speed or RPM and your car shakes?
    or ever drive in high gear in a RPM (below 1) and the car is about to stall but doesnt quite stall?

(i hope that made sense to many of you)

well my car feels like that when i am on the gas or RPM being over 2rpm.

what i have done to the car? changed all the vacuum lines.

when did this start happening? 2 weeks after i finished changing all the vacuum lines.

other considerations? my fuel pump hums quite loudly (new pump).
    i did a valve adjustment about 5000 miles ago.
    idle surging. idle bounces from 1.2rpm-2rpm (only when warm, never when cold).

i know it is not the wheels because they are new tires that were balanced.

any help would be appreciated. my whol car vibrates and shakes. i canNOT see anything out of my rear view mirror because of the vibration.
    2007 Mazda CX-7 (red TURBO!!)
    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (red)

previous cars
    1) 1994 Isuzu Trooper (blue)
    2) 2005 Scion tC (panda w/ CF)
    3) 2001 Toyota Avalon (silver)
    4) 1988 Nissan Pulsar XE (T top in red)

perhaps tank needs more gas, when im low you can hear the pumps. rear seat not installed lol
    The day I bought my e30, was the day I became sophisticated and classy as fuck.

Comment

Somthing to do with your AFM ?
      check distributed cap and the rotor ?
      cat stuck somwhere
      The day I bought my e30, was the day I became sophisticated and classy as fuck.

Comment

few other considerations,

i did run out of gas once... but it fired up again. meaning, driving up a hill it sputtered and died. i sat there for 15mins then cranked it again and it drove off like nothing ever happened.

second, my car sputters once as if i am out of gas (even on a full tank). similar to a hiccup.

i was planning on check a variety of things but i wanted some input... maybe someone else went through similar scenario?

im goign to check the fuel pressure 1st.
        then check the sensors as specificed in the bentley.

maybe even check my valves again...

i dont have a lot of time so i wanted to know if anyone had a direct solution that i can check 1st from past experience.
        1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

I think I have a similar problem. On the highway if I try to accellerate, or go up a hill, the car shakes. I get a similar problem in town in 3rd if I try to accellerate from a somewhat low RPM, but it's not as bad.

I've changed just about everything in this car to overcome a low power problem, and it's a lot better, but still sucks. My next steps are compression test, and then clutch.

A friend had a similar case where his clutch was bad and it would only show up in high gears. He could mash the pedal all day in low gears and the car would have no problems, but try to go up a hill on the highway and it vibed and didn't want to accellerate.

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
            I think I have a similar problem. On the highway if I try to accellerate, or go up a hill, the car shakes. I get a similar problem in town in 3rd if I try to accellerate from a somewhat low RPM, but it's not as bad.

I've changed just about everything in this car to overcome a low power problem, and it's a lot better, but still sucks. My next steps are compression test, and then clutch.

A friend had a similar case where his clutch was bad and it would only show up in high gears. He could mash the pedal all day in low gears and the car would have no problems, but try to go up a hill on the highway and it vibed and didn't want to accellerate.
            compression test!!! thats one i forgot about...

i just inspected my car during lunch. i found some fuel on the back side of one of my injectors... so i am guessing 1 cylinder or 2 is not getting enough fuel... gotta get new O-rings installed...

i will let you know what my solution is
            1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

One reasonable consideration is that a new fault should always have a possible first suspect of 'what was last changed/modified'. You said you changed your vacuum lines: maybe you now have 'em hooked up wrong/differently... For example: Is there a vacuum advance/retard on your dizzy? That could affect timing to cause an issue like this.
              Last edited by visionaut; 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM.

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

Originally posted by visionaut View Post
                One reasonable consideration is that a new fault should always have a possible first suspect of 'what was last changed/modified'. You said you changed your vacuum lines: maybe you now have 'em hooked up wrong/differently... For example: Is there a vacuum advance/retard on your dizzy? That could affect timing to cause an issue like this.
                i am sure the vacuum lines are correct. or else it would have been driving smoothly at all. this was a gradual change to the car's behavior over a span of 3 weeks...

update...

my car died on me while driving home on Tuesday.

it was driving, doing well, crusing... then a putt putt engine stopped responding to the throttle, then it continued as normal... 3 secs later it died completely. i rolled to a stop but weird thing was the engine was still on and running... 2 secs after my complete stop. the engine shut off.

and it never cranked again...

i do have gas in the car. the meter works and it is telling me at least 60% of the tank left.
                1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

I think this is a fuel issue. The fact that you ran out of gas and it became a problem after makes me think that the tank went empty, sucked up some trash and supply could be a problem. The sputter would make sense because of lean conditions.

Have you confirmed that the car does have spark when you can't start it after a stall?
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

problem figured out

head gasket blew out. car was struggle to operate so it vibrated...
                    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

How'd you find it? Coolant in the oil? Compression check? Or did you just pull the head off?

Comment

car died while driving, wouldnt turn on.

tried cranking it and bubbles in the radiator appeared. + coolant levels have dropped. and did a compression test.
                        1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

Working...
                        X