Preparing E30 for its first road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing E30 for its first road trip

My E30's had quite the hard life, and now that it's taken away from it's awful previous owner, I have freshened it up quite a bit.
    This will be its first 20+mile journey since I don't know when. I've taken it on the highway for about 10 miles or so. It handles well at 70mph, a little twitchy passed that but I'm going to keep a steady 70mph cruise to conserve gas. I DD it everyday, but in the city environment . It hasn't broken down since I replaced the headgasket three weeks ago.
    The journey will be a round trip of 150miles. Any way I should prepare for this? I have nearly every tool I used to take out my headgasket in my trunk, I have a colder thermostat in case of overheating, a few radiator hoses, brake fluid, now 4 gallons of water if coolant hose implodes, 2 quarts of oil, and 4 pairs of gloves and heavy jackets if worse comes to worse.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

i loled at your name.

but seems like you have most of the required things. got jumper cables? hmmm maybe some of those little road flare things in case you need to fix something on the highway? i had to fix a flat on Rt18 in NJ at around 6:00 pm a few weeks ago, even when it was getting dark, its crazy shit. im sure flares would have helped people see me.

also the beginning of your story sounds like you saved one of those abused animals from the shelter. You're an inspiration to us all :)

Comment

invest in a AAA membership
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Dermeister3 View Post
        i loled at your name.

but seems like you have most of the required things. got jumper cables? hmmm maybe some of those little road flare things in case you need to fix something on the highway? i had to fix a flat on Rt18 in NJ at around 6:00 pm a few weeks ago, even when it was getting dark, its crazy shit. im sure flares would have helped people see me.

also the beginning of your story sounds like you saved one of those abused animals from the shelter. You're an inspiration to us all :)
        I guess I'll bring a bright orange pylon. I'm going to be on my way home before hopefully night fall so I don't think a road flare will be necessary.

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
        Boy that's the last thing I want..
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

Just did a 500+ mile round trip in my new to me vert. Not one hiccup. At first I felt more at ease taking the newer car. But I wanted to sport the vert, show it off to family. Pride won. Glad it did. My confidence in this vehicle jumped!

Just added about 1/3 quart of oil. Almost 32MPG.

Comment

If its ok in the city, and you have all those tools you should be fine. You seem to have the know how as well.

150 miles isnt anything really. 4 out of the 7 days of the week I drive that much on the freeway in my E30 on my daily commute.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

150 miles? I took my m50 swapped shitbox 2200 miles on a whim without a hiccup, I have taken 2-300 mile road trips in the same car without even thinking twice. Don't be a vagina.

Comment

Fun fact:

My e30 sat for about a year and a half before I got it. Re-charged the dead battery and it fired right up. Drove 45 miles straight to the front door of my house, no problems.

85 eta btw. Good luck!
                Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

also consider some duct tape and zip ties, and an exacto knife. I'm not kidding, the few times my car has had something go wrong with it, it could've been fixed by the items you have plus these. You can always go back and do a proper repair job when you get home, but these will help get you off the side of the turnpike when it's freezing, dark, or both.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    yup. i just did 1700 miles no problem. you'll be fine.
                    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Thanks guys, and yeah 150 sure doesn't seem like a lot, but I hope it goes by quick in my E30.

I got all the duct tape and zip ties in the world haha.
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

Made the trip down to bradenton for fix, i think it's about 180 miles round trip no problems. my cars not johny awesome either. It's just reliable as bob saget.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I plan to drive from Halifax to NYC in my m40 equipped e30, I ain't scurred.

But just in case, anyone in NJ/NY/NH want to buy a touring that needs some work for future referance?
                          For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                          Originally posted by mbonanni
                          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Well he made it to my house great! We put a new lip on his car, went sliding in the new m50 swap, and ate wawa hoagies. No doubt he will make it home safe!

Comment

To my surprise, the E30 made it there without skipping one fucking beat. In fact, I think the journey on the way to Jimmy's (Dude's) house freed up bits and pieces because on the way back to my house, the car was so much more smoother!
                              The only problem I encountered was that I accidentally turned the wipers on, and they never turned back off until I pulled the fuse. They're stuck on now though :(
                              120mph in a car that I was doubting it's reliability sure is fun though hahaha. I went over 100 a couple of times, just to see if anything would go wrong/ any weird noises. But it remained as stable as....well as stable as a car should feel at 120! haha.
                              Love this car. Many thanks to Dude and Nickpro.
                              Originally posted by TSI
                              OEM+

Comment

Working...
                              X