Lightened my flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightened my flywheel

Here's the pics of the flywheel I had lightened and balanced along with a new pressure plate here in Seattle. After tax it cost $220 to take it from 14lbs to 11.5lbs, kind of disappointing. If anybody else is looking at this, I think the 8lb aluminum wheels for $400 are a better deal if you're comparing dollars to pounds lost. You can see they took a decent amount from the outside, which is the best place to lose the weight.

It was a spare flywheel I had, and the car needed at least a new pilot bearing, so it was a good thing to do. First gear seems to pull a little better, but I didn't notice anything else in the relatively short drive I took it on. This technically belongs in the transmission section, but I like having all things early 318i related in the m10 section.

I sent a PM

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
    Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

I have the JB Racing FW in my M10 and its deceiving when you realize it doesn't increase power...but that sucker spins
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Yah Jeff, I was mostly referencing your build with the JB wheel. It seems like a better deal. I think I'll order one of those for my 2002 when I get around to it.

Comment

Keep in mind the lack of inertia makes it gain AND lose revs very fast
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
            Keep in mind the lack of inertia makes it gain AND lose revs very fast
            Well, not very fast, as the flywheel/pressure plate combo weighs something like 12 kg on a M10B20. Couple kg's less on a B18. 2 litre crank is something like 17-18kg if memory serves, and b18 crank ~15kg. Anyway, isn't raising and dropping revs faster the whole point of that exercise? :)
            And no, mass is not torque, no matter how many people write it on the internet.

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
            Here's the pics of the flywheel I had lightened and balanced along with a new pressure plate here in Seattle. After tax it cost $220 to take it from 14lbs to 11.5lbs, kind of disappointing. If anybody else is looking at this, I think the 8lb aluminum wheels for $400 are a better deal if you're comparing dollars to pounds lost. You can see they took a decent amount from the outside, which is the best place to lose the weight.
            I was gonna ask if they balanced it. Then I opened my eyes and read what you wrote :D:D

I did much the same, a B20 steel wheel lightened and balanced together with pressure plate. The machinist put "taps" on the wheel so that pressure plate can only be installed in one position (so I don't lose the "balanced position").
            Little over 1kg was shaved, cost me 100€. I'm happy with that. I bought an (under size) aluminum crank pulley so now total rotating masses are minus 1,4kg. :)

I'm trying to get my crank lightened, after that I'll have it balanced with the pulley.
            Last edited by petrolhead; 08-13-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
              I'm trying to get my crank lightened, after that I'll have it balanced with the pulley.
              Has anybody ever seen hard evidence to support what people say about not lightening both the crank and flywheel? I seem to hear it thrown around a lot on forums and websites but I've never read of any study, experiment, or engineering analysis to support the claim.

Comment

Has anybody ever seen hard evidence to support what people say about not lightening both the crank and flywheel? I seem to hear it thrown around a lot on forums and websites but I've never read of any study, experiment, or engineering analysis to support the claim.

Standard practice on a race build where you plan to rebuild the engine every season, NOT meant for longevity and NOT street friendly. Knifing the crank can be screwed up relatively easy and should only be done by a qualified machinist, especially when balancing to a light weight flywheel.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

crank lightening

OK, here goes. Try to bear with my english..
                  knife edging (shaving the counter weights )is not the proper way to lighten a crank. Counter weights' purpose in life is to provide a balancing weight for crank throw. Proper way is to lighten the throws, after that balance the axle by removing needed amount of material from counter weights. That way there's hope that the axle is in dynamic balance.

Comment

Working...
                  X