E34 530i M62 + 6 Speed Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 530i M62 + 6 Speed Swap

After my E30 got totaled, I ended up getting an E34 Touring. It's not perfect, but it was actually free, and wagons are cool.
    The engine needs timing chain guides and I haven't ran it for more than a few minutes because of that. I've pieced out everything I need to get it running well and it comes to just under $1100. This is on a 3.0L M60 with an automatic.
    Recently, a guy contacted my about buying parts from my E30 (for those of you waiting on me, I'll be there Friday to get everything I need.) He asked me if I had any other BMWs, and after we talk for a little, we more or less worked out a trade for an M62B44, 6 Speed manual, DME, everything for a complete swap. I'm seriously considering it, because I believe it's a direct swap, correct?

Is there anything I need to know before diving into this? I don't know if it's a TU engine, and if it is, would I have to disable Vanos somehow?
    tl;dr: What do I have to know before trying to swapping an M62 into an E34?

Also here's a picture of it for fun.
    1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
    1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
    1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

nice car, great color, too!

what $$ do you value the items you are trading for the m62 stuff?

if its a later m62 (vanos) i wouldn't bother. if its non-vanos, it is close to direct swap, but still not entirely. you will have to change some things over to work with the cars OBD1 wiring. most of which (but not all) is available to you on your m60b30 (headers, sensors, harness, etc) you will also need to figure out a custom driveshaft (the 420g does not normally mate to the medium diff of your 530) and you will have to get the whole pedal assembly/clutch hydraulics from another e34 manual car.

if it were me, i would certainly not drop 1100 into the b30, though. i'd be looking for an m60b40 and 5 or 6 speed.

neither solution is cheap, both require the additional parts like pedals/driveshaft, but the m60b40 is actually a direct swap. I'd expect you'll spend about 2500 in parts for either swap.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
      nice car, great color, too!

what $$ do you value the items you are trading for the m62 stuff?

if its a later m62 (vanos) i wouldn't bother. if its non-vanos, it is close to direct swap, but still not entirely. you will have to change some things over to work with the cars OBD1 wiring. most of which (but not all) is available to you on your m60b30 (headers, sensors, harness, etc) you will also need to figure out a custom driveshaft (the 420g does not normally mate to the medium diff of your 530) and you will have to get the whole pedal assembly/clutch hydraulics from another e34 manual car.

if it were me, i would certainly not drop 1100 into the b30, though. i'd be looking for an m60b40 and 5 or 6 speed.

neither solution is cheap, both require the additional parts like pedals/driveshaft, but the m60b40 is actually a direct swap. I'd expect you'll spend about 2500 in parts for either swap.
      Thanks, I've always admired your car also.

I valued them at less than that what I'd consider the engine worth. We've also been talking about ending up getting a whole E39 540i for parts. I'm going to talk to him and the shop owner that gave the E34 to me tomorrow. I'll report back with what they say too.

And yes, ideally I'd be looking for an E34 parts car, but they're so scarce down here, especially in 540i/6 form.
      1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
      1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
      1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

Comment

Working...
      X