Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 325e restoration (mostly stock build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325e restoration (mostly stock build)

First of all, I have never done this. I am already half way into the build, however, i figured i might as well share it with the inter-web. I am sure i can learn a few things from making this project public. I am keeping the car mostly stock with the exception of wheels (currently looking for 15" BMW basket weaves at a decent price) and perhaps Mishimoto radiator. I have determined that my motor has been removed at some point. I have also determined that, at some point, some one has tried to bondo some rust on the floor pan.

What I am starting with:
    -1987 BMW 325e, 2.7L (eta head)
    -Delphin Grey (184)
    -Comfort interior

What I have already done
    -KS main bearings
    -GLYCO rod bearings
    -Clutch slave cylinder
    -Stockradiator
    -spark plugs
    -painted the block (black)
    -sunroof seal
    -rod bolts
    -head studs
    -freeze plugs.
    -valve polish and lapping
    -clean and reassemble the head (note: there is some questionable cam journal wear i am uneasy about, however, I am overly paranoid)
    -removable radiator support bracing
    -new brakes pads
    -brake booster refresh
    -I have euro trim headlight surrounds

Things I plan on doing within the month - month 1/2:
    -I am on a witch hunt for rust; MIG welding fresh steel into prescribed places
    -new gas pedal
    -new driver sear cushion
    -new bushings all around

Things i want to do in the reasonable future:
    -new headliner (mine is in decent shape (not saying, just a small tear near the sunroof)
    -I am on the fence on repainting engine bay
    -new onboard computer thinks where the clock goes on the dash board
    -either carpet dye or new carpet all together
    -new, moderately stock sounding, exhaust
    -new dash (mine has two cracks up the gauge cluster)

I am not a flashy person. I enjoy cars as they were made at the time of production. I hope you all learn something in this process; I know I will. Pictures to follow.

Dream Builds:
    -e9 restoration
    -2002 outlaw build
    -VW Karmann Ghia (I know it is not a BMW)
    Last edited by MCreally?; 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM.

I wish i got some pictures of it when i bought it 6 months ago. It was deceivingly clean. I found some unfortunate spots that lead to others, which lead to the teardown.

As she stands now . . .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	7190551

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	7190552

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	7190553

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	7190554

Comment

I am working with a pretty clean interior, even if it they are only comfort seats.

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	7190555

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	7190556

By the way, what is the best way to deal with tan discoloration in the door panels? This is apparently a common happening.
      Last edited by MCreally?; 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

10 May 2017 Update

-So I have finished patching the wheel-well. The affected rust area was MUCH larger than I anticipated then I bought the car. The weather proofing is conducive until it has been compromised. It then becomes a rust promoter as it retains all the moisture from the road. None the less, it has been patched with fresh metal. I am contemplating getting rid of all the material and respraying it with bed dinner. What do you think?

-I have also mated the block to the head. The head was resurfaced and hot tanked by a local machine shop. Valves were polished and lapped. Additionally, the moving components were reused (i.e. springs, rockers, and cam)

-Big News, I sourced a euro front bumper from Croatia which arrived yesterday. It ended up costing 350 USD shipped, pending and customs charges. They normally come in a little later in an envelope. Fingers crossed i won't get any.

In the mail:
        -gaskets and sealed to install crank case cover, output shaft seal, etc. (al the boring things that add up to around $60
        -BMW Dot 4 brake fluid
        -timing belt

Things to be done this month:
        -I found considerable rust in the floor pans. I am debating on sourcing full floor pans or patching in sheet metal.
        -Have the engine completely resembled
        -subframe refresh and cleaned (debating on whether I should do a power steering delete)

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	7190721

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	7190722

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	7190723

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	7190724

Comment

Good progress man! Love a good resto build.

Comment

So, a lot has happened since my last post. To date, I have:

-painted the engine bay (same color as the body)
            -cleaned/sand blasted all engine parts
            -painted the valve color, inspired by Ferrari's textured red engine paint (pretty sure i am going to keep the red sliver two tone, don't want to go adolescent red crazy)
            -installed the engine
            -wired the engine
            -new brake lines
            -removed ABS

the progress has slowed down since school has started back up. I was able to get some work done on fall break. I still need to finish welding in floor pan patches. I am getting slowed down by the angle sections.

all that i am waiting for is: (in the mail)

-electrical connectors
            -shift arm bushing (cleaned the bracket up by burning the existing bushing with a torch, then hit hit it with a sand blaster, looks brand new and saved $110)
            -brake line T
            -exhaust studs

looking for:
            -wood steering wheel and matching shift knob
            -torn up sport seats to reupholster to cardinal red
            -euro style rear bumper

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	7193223

Name:	IMG_0176.JPG
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	7193224

Comment

Nice progress
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Today I installed the headers with Ireland Engineering studs/nuts. I got them over the OEM one because they can be installed with an allen wrench. I also installed a heat shielding gaskets, primarily because i run a stock exhaust and they are prone to surface rust. The shield somewhat covers up the spot where water likes to pool up. I am still waiting on the other odds and ends needed to turn the engine over

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	7193251

Comment

Today I spent the day refreshing the 30 year old air box. It apparently has some old and dried adhesive all over it. I cleaned it off with a dreamed brush. In order to clean our the detailed lines and BMW logo, I used a sewing needle to get into the crevasse. afterwards it got a fresh coat of plastic paint.
                  Furthermore, I got some other boring stuff done like replacing the gasket on the output coolant line from the back of the head. I also replaced the electrical connectors to the fuel injectors.
                  Here is a picture of the refreshed airbag. I think it looks a lot better than a cold air intake/stand alone air filter.
                  [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	7193290[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

Comment

Today i was able to put in new soft and hard lines. Hopefully this will improve braking, not that i can even remember what the brakes were like before (going on one year into the build). The brake lines are from ECS tuning and by the looks of them they look pretty nice. The hardline are from 4.7mm metric lines from NAPA. I deleted the ABS and have the front T'ed.

Looking to get all the belts back on. I was finally able to find a place that rents a 3/4 drive torque wrench to torque the big ass crank bolt. My torque wrenches do not go up to 350 ft/lbs and i am not about to buy a $400 torque wrench for literally one bolt. So things in the engine bay should be wrapped up this weekend.

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	7193352

Comment

Working...
                    X