• Show
Clear All

S52 Build aka Fresh

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JGood

How to read the wire diagrams:

Go here:

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Find the manual for your car or engine, whatever side you are doing pinouts for.

Open the manual, and skip to the section that starts talking about power distribution and various under hood parts.

This is what it will look like:

You want to look for any instance of either c101 or x20, such as what is circled. C101 is the e30 engine connector, x20 is the e36/e34 connector. So if you are looking at an e30 manual, just look for c101. When you look at the e36/e34 manual, look for x20.

The c101 connector is the big round connector on your firewall. It has 20 or so pins on it (it’s a square connector with less pins if you have an 84-85 model). Each pin will be drawn out in this manual. Here, in the example, we are looking at pin 10 (see the 10 next to where it says c101).

The curved lines show which way the signal is coming through the connector. In this example, you see it’s coming FROM the oil level sensor, TO the engine oil fault indicator (the oil level light in your car).

The VI/GN and BU/WT are the colors of the wires. The wire between the sensor and the connector is blue with a white stripe, the wire between the connector and the warning light is Violet with a green stripe.

The .5 next to the color is the wire size. Apparently this is in millimeters squared. .5 will be a little wire, .75 medium, 1 is big. (I think).

You now know what color the wire is on the engine side, what color t is on the body side, what pin it is in the connector, and what its function is.

The schematics are generally laid out as power (+12 volts) from the top of the pages, to ground at the bottom of the pages. Further details of what various symbols mean can be found in the beginning pages of the manuals.

================================================== =====
    I have a bunch of wires how do I take one wire from the harness and say, yes, this is for the so and so (alternator)...Right now I am trying to label my S52 wiring harness to my e30 m3, any help is appreciated.

If I missed something let me know, I really want to get this project up and running, it has been sitting for too long. When I finish swap, I have the OBD1 parts to add.

my organization is set up like this.

label wiring harness
    lock oil pump bolt
    mount oil pan
    fit a m42 radiator
    fit a brake booster
    install engine

tell me if I am on the right track, this is my first swap.
    Last edited by /\/\ III; 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM.

R u using OBD1 harness or the s52, OBD2 harness.....you r on the right track sounds to me. GLW SWAP

Comment

Obd1 harness

Comment

by the way, webphones doesn't have the obd1 wiring harness diagram, does any one have one?

Comment

yes, yes it does.

93-95 are all OBD1 (well and the M50NV but you don't want that)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Youll still need to obviously modify the harness in some form or fashon to plug into the E30 C101

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

check out rmeuropean for a sweet link to wiring diagrams, just use the years as described above for OBD1

Comment

thanks all for the feedback...another question...

example from

page 31/436

do you have to cut every wire to see the color, it says 1.5 gn/vi to gn/vi. pin 13
                hot run and start to fuel pump relay

Comment

Peel the rubber cover off the end of the plug to see wire colors and number denotation.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So why my writing plug had no green violet wire 1.5, only a green and white stripe?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thats your diagnostics port....

Are you making an adapter or splicing the harness? You need to use the c101 connect from the e30 a make your pin out based on the x20 (which is the e36 side connector). There are like 20 pins. Some aren't needed. Go through the "electronic troubleshooting manual" for the year / model that your HARNESS came from... not your motor, since you are obd1 converting. For example your harness could have come from a 199x 325i or 525i or something. That's the manual you need. Then match the corresponding pins to the e30 manual. Make a chart with the x20 connector on one side and the c101 on the other. Then go in and make your adapter / splices depending on which route you go. Quadroupal check your work!
                            (oo=[][]=oo)
                            Web Design PNW

Comment

Yes, I plan on making my own adapter. Maybe I have the wrong year for the harness, my engine its from 1997.

Are talking about pin out from the diagnostics port on the e30 will about 20 pins? Thanks my car isn't with me now.

Are the cpu brain plugs for a direct fit on a e30 and a 413?

Comment

Working...
                              X