Clutch Options and Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Options and Opinions

This was posted over on the driveline board but is maybe better poster here.
    Built my S52 swap about 2-1/2 years ago on a 91 318is. I used the 240 trans it had and an M20 flywheel. After 25,000 trouble free miles I feel like the clutch is starting to come to the end of its life. I used the F1 stage 2 clutch and have never really liked the feel of it. My question is what are others running for a street clutch with this combination, I would be most happy with a stock feeling clutch that will hold the power. Is there an equivalent to the the e36 M3 clutch that will work with the M20 flywheel.

Thanks,

Seth
    Last edited by Slovik; 10-20-2014, 06:39 AM.

Originally posted by Slovik View Post
    This was posted over on the driveline board but is maybe better poster here.
    Built my S52 swap about 2-1/2 years ago on a 91 318is. I used the 240 trans it had and an M20 flywheel. After 25,000 trouble free miles I feel like the clutch is starting to come to the end of its life. I used the F1 stage 2 clutch and have never really liked the feel of it. My question is what are others running for a street clutch with this combination, I would be most happy with a stock feeling clutch that will hold the power. Is there an equivalent to the the e36 M3 clutch that will work with the M20 flywheel.

Thanks,

Seth
    I have Spec Stage 2+ E30 Clutch and like it a lot.
    (1989 325is S52 obd2 ZF320 w/m20 single mass FW)
    "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

you got to go with 240mm if you want the clutch to hold and to have soft pedal feel. This means you got to go with 328i flywheel ,clutch, starter combination

Comment

drulle how is the pedal feel w/ the stage 2+ and how many mile you have on it.
        Desert - I know the dual mass is probably the way to go but I think I'd like to keep the m20 flywheel it about 15lbs and to get a dual mass that weight will cost more than I want to spend right now.

Thanks

Comment

just finished my swap with the m50/ getrag 240, using and oem sachs m20 clutch kit 323i throw out bearing, m20 flywheel and starter and my car won't crank at all? any ideas??? thanks and sorry for going off topic but really need help and seen you are running a getrag 240 as well.. thanks

Comment

I'm on m50 with a g/240 and m20 flywheel,clutch,starter and m20 stock TOB,worked fine and held abuse for over 10k miles,mostly on spiritual driving.
            Might be TOB problem due to too big and doesn't let the engine crank?
            “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
            ― Jeremy Clarkson
            Euro 318is M50 build thread

Comment

I've got an S52 with the zf e36 m3 trans and this clutch/flywheel kit from Turner: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-37...36-323325.aspx

It's a good price. The only thing I wish they'd done differently is to have a sprung clutch disk to minimize the rattle/noise (which is not awful, but sometimes more noticeable than I would like).

Comment

I'm dropping an M50 in with my '87 eta's stock g260, and was planning to machine down the dual mass flywheel and use the same clutch (replaced it < 10k miles ago), but I dunno if my stack height is gonna change... I kinda doubt it, but I haven't taken any measurements yet.

Comment

The sachs hd or e30m3 pressure plate (some say they are the same) are rated to hold up to like 300. This is a setup for 228mm disc size (g260 flywheel). When my clutch gives out i will move to e30m3 pp and disc.

Comment

I missed this thread apparently. All I have to add is stay away from UUC M5/aluminum flywheel setup. Worst clutch setup I have ever driven and UUC customer support sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
                      I missed this thread apparently. All I have to add is stay away from UUC M5/aluminum flywheel setup. Worst clutch setup I have ever driven and UUC customer support sucks.
                      Could you go into more details on your experience? I have this setup on a "wishlist" somewhere for future reference when I'm ready to do my s52 swap.
                      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                      '95 525iT
                      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                      '98 Disco 1

Comment

The clutch is a sprung setup, but chatters and engages very aggressively (think on/off). The transmission is now noisy when engaging/disengaging the clutch. It basically just sucks for street use, probably great for track use. Clutch was properly broken in but wouldn't hold a second gear burnout with 3 people in the car (N/A s52). Trying to get in touch with anybody from UUC is a lost cause, call and leave numerous messages with no response. I see a different setup in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                        X