Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premium Sound in Cabriolets - What years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium Sound in Cabriolets - What years?

What year did the premium sound systems become standard in the cabriolets? I have tried to check realOEM, but can not verify.

The reason for the ask is that I am looking for the trunk liner for my 1991 cabriolet - the liner that covers the rear seat and under the convertible shelf. I have converted the power top to manual and removed the stereo amp. So I am looking for the manual top trunk liner w/o the bulge for the stereo amp.

Let me know if you know the answer to my question.

Thanks - Mike
    Mike
    Cary, NC
    Current Rides
    1991 325iC - For Sale
    2006 M3 Cabriolet
    Past Rides
    2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
    1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
    1998 Z3 - Fun Car
    1986 325e (i engine conversion)
    1969 Mustang Mach 1

Mike, I have installed system in roughly 120 US verts over the last 25 years, every single one was Premium.

Good luck on the hunt.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      Mike, I have installed system in roughly 120 US verts over the last 25 years, every single one was Premium.

Good luck on the hunt.

Luke

Luke - thanks, good information. From your experience, did those Cabriolets have the amplifier mounted on the frame behind the seat? or did some Cabriolets have the amplifier located in the left rear fender-well where the power antenna is mounted?

Thanks again
      Last edited by mikerob97; 05-22-2015, 04:33 AM.
      Mike
      Cary, NC
      Current Rides
      1991 325iC - For Sale
      2006 M3 Cabriolet
      Past Rides
      1998 Z3 - Fun Car
      1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

I just took one out of a vert yesterday.

If you are in need and able to cover the price of shipping and compensate me, LMK.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          I just took one out of a vert yesterday.

If you are in need and able to cover the price of shipping and compensate me, LMK.
          Thanks - but I want to see if the item I am looking for exists. Did you look at my description carefully?

Does the one you have available come from a cabriolet, with a mauual convertible top without a premuim sound system? So that it does not have the cutout for the trunk mounted amplifier.

What is the part number on the white tag on the back of the cover?

What year is the car?

Thanks - Mike
          Mike
          Cary, NC
          Current Rides
          1991 325iC - For Sale
          2006 M3 Cabriolet
          Past Rides
          1998 Z3 - Fun Car
          1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

I offered. I did read. That is why I offered. Don't sweat it. The car was an '88.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
              I offered. I did read. That is why I offered. Don't sweat it. The car was an '88.
              Does the item have a part number on the white tag on the back side?

Can you take a couple of good pictures of the item and post to this tread or email to me at mikerob97@yahoo.com.

Thanks - Mike
              Mike
              Cary, NC
              Current Rides
              1991 325iC - For Sale
              2006 M3 Cabriolet
              Past Rides
              1998 Z3 - Fun Car
              1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Interesting, I assumed they all had premium sound and the accompanying trim piece with amp bulge. I'd also be interested in that vert trunk trim piece for a manual top and no amp bulge.
                sigpic
                January 2012 COTM

Comment

I'll check mine tomorrow, I have a 86 euro car with a manual top and no premium sound. I halve not seen a bump in the cover for the amp but have not really looked for it either. Have not spent much time in the trunk yet been working on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Preyupy View Post
                    I'll check mine tomorrow, I have a 86 euro car with a manual top and no premium sound. I halve not seen a bump in the cover for the amp but have not really looked for it either. Have not spent much time in the trunk yet been working on everything else.
                    Thanks would be very helpful - at least I would confirm if this item even exists...sometimes I feel like I invent these parts in my head and the spend hours looking only to later discover it was never made...

If you do have access to the back side of the trim piece, there will be a white tag with a part number - if you could provide, would be fantastic!

Thanks again - Mike
                    Mike
                    Cary, NC
                    Current Rides
                    1991 325iC - For Sale
                    2006 M3 Cabriolet
                    Past Rides
                    1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                    1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

same question here as would like to place 3rd amp there.
                      If am not mistaken, all US cabrios came with premium stereo, never seen one without door tweeters.

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                        same question here as would like to place 3rd amp there.
                        If am not mistaken, all US cabrios came with premium stereo, never seen one without door tweeters.
                        I am still waiting for pics from TimeMachinE30 above - he says he has one that is from an 88 without a premium sound and with a manual convertible top. Hopefully he will post to this site.

Mike
                        Mike
                        Cary, NC
                        Current Rides
                        1991 325iC - For Sale
                        2006 M3 Cabriolet
                        Past Rides
                        1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                        1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

If we are talking about the vertical panel at the front of the trunk on the left side. See the picture from fporro abome. My car has that bump. It is a '86 325ic euro spec car without the premium sound system. I just bought it from the original owner with 65k miles on it so I know it has not been changed ( as a matter of fact I just took the original factory installed TRX tires off of it!). Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I have been on garage clean up duty this weekend and it was tucked away in the race car trailer.

Comment

Working...
                          X