Assembling an M52. A couple of questions before head install::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembling an M52. A couple of questions before head install::

I'm putting together an M52 motor to replace the damaged M50 in my E30 GTS2 car. Just got the head back from the machine shop recently and it's ready to install. I have cleaned and painted the block and also cleaned the block surface thoroughly. The block was shipped to me with the cylinders sprayed with lithium grease to prevent rust, but as the grease is somewhat sticky it has attracted a tiny amount of dirt debris on the cylinder walls. My questions:

-What is a safe way to clean the cylinders without scratching? Should I just gently wipe them out with a microfiber cloth or similar? I've blown them out with compressed air but a little debris is still stuck to the lithium grease.

-After cleaning the cylinders thoroughly, should I respray any type of grease or lubricant in them to help protect when the motor is turned for the first time?

-Is there a recommended type of assembly lube that I should be using when reinstalling the camshafts/journals?

Thanks!
    '90 325is/S52
    '76 2002
    '74 2002tii
    '06 325i sedan
    '05 X5 3.0i
    '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Id use a bit of brake cleaner on a non lenting rag to wipe the bores out. Then use same type or rag and put a thin coat of oil. For cam install ive always used motor oil on all the journals (and i believe thats what bmw calls for in the service manual).

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
      Id use a bit of brake cleaner on a non lenting rag to wipe the bores out. Then use same type or rag and put a thin coat of oil. For cam install ive always used motor oil on all the journals (and i believe thats what bmw calls for in the service manual).
      Thanks for the tips!
      '90 325is/S52
      '76 2002
      '74 2002tii
      '06 325i sedan
      '05 X5 3.0i
      '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

Working...
      X