No announcement yet.

installing hydroboost on your e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, sorry to join the party so late.

Been real useful reading through so far but any further advice would go down a treat!!

I've got a [European] '93 E34 530 with the 3 litre V8 and it's running the hydraulic booster setup, as standard to my knowledge as it doesn't look played with.

I've had the car off the road for a year and now that I've come to get it back on the road the brake pedal isn't firming up like it should.

At this point I expect you'll be saying 'bleed the brakes man!!'

I've done that over and over, in everyway I can think of, even bypassed the ABS box with new sections of pipe to make sure no air was hiding(copper lines, not sure about them bursting yet).

Here's what happens:

Engine off = pedal pumps up nice and hard and you can stand on it as hard as you like with no fade at all. Perfect.

Engine running = pedal very spongy and will go to floor. On test drive, brakes do work with pedal on floor but nowhere near enough to even skid on a wet road.

If the master cylinder was at fault, I'd think the pedal would fade even with engine off no??
    Also there's a hissing noise from the booster's pressure regulator when pressing on pedal, could it be letting too much pressure into the booster and in turn overwhelming the master cylinder seals?

If anyone could tell me which other models use the hydraulic system and would be a straight swap that'd be really handy. Seems a bit rare but swapping to the vacuum setup seems like pointless hassle.
    Trouble is I cant find any parts shops that list my master cylinder and I dont know which other models fit, so whether I go for new or used parts, I'm stuck at the moment :(

Any help much appreciated,

Phill
    Attached Files

Comment

E28s used hydro boost, at least the 535s did. When you go to stop, does the pedal sink, then if you pump it again it's good? If so, brake bomb (accumulator).
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Looks like ill be accumulating parts for this. ;)

Good right up. I have some e32's to snag parts from, ill compare them to the e23 photos. Sounds like they will work though. The stock m20 or m50 pump works well enough for hydroboost?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Yah, e32 booster looks to big much like e28 ones.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            wowee! you are good with the master cylinder and hyd booster in the photo above.

i didn't fool around with any of that stuff you have attached to the spaghetti of brake lines. throw all of that crap away. just screw your e30 brake lines into the master cylinder you have pictured above and you will be in good shape.

you are going to need an accumulator. that is the 4 inch round metal softball shaped component. all of your lines run through that. it is pictured in the last 2 photos you posted. i cut that bracket off the donor car and modified it to fit my e30. there are photos of this above.

i used the stock s52 hydraulic/power steering pump. you just have to pay attention to the pressure and return lines so they don't get mixed up when you transfer this system to your e30.

your top photo shows the abs restrictor so you are good there. also, i was running my setup with an e36 rack, so you should be fine there too.
            How is the pedal feel compared to stock E30?

Comment

its hard as a rock
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Pics are broken

Comment

Bringing it back from the dead but there's no pictures
                  1988 325is imolarotII/ plastic bumper swap/ e36 m3-z3 2.8 5 lug swap/ e36 m3 bilsteins/ e36 m3 h&r race spring up front/ GC rear coilover / 21mm vert sway bar/ m3 offset bushing/ OEM bushings/ S3.73 rear end/ full black interior/ e46 sport seats/ BBS style 5

Instagram - AnthonyVzz

Comment

Dead thread but I might as well chime in. I've got a sikky booster kit on my car. It doesn't use any linkages. It all bolts to the firewall. No fab work which is what I like.

Sikky also makes a manual brake setup too IIRC.

Browse Sikky's online catalog of LSx parts and accessories. All parts are Made in the USA using the highest quality materials and craftsmanship.

Comment

Thats sweet. It should work with other swaps that don't have room for a booster, no?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This should work on pretty much any swap. I haven't verified but I'm hoping it'll work on an M60 swap.

Comment

I did a little bit of Internet voodoo and managed to get copies of the missing 16 photos from the first 2 posts.

flyboyx - if you PM me your email address, I can send the photos to you so you can edit your original posts and get the pics showing again.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                            This should work on pretty much any swap. I haven't verified but I'm hoping it'll work on an M60 swap.
                            I've seen pics showing that if the booster is moved over by the width of the bolt pattern, then the E23 booster can work with an M60, but the clearance is tight.

EDIT: That was the pics in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_boy View Post
                              I did a little bit of Internet voodoo and managed to get copies of the missing 16 photos from the first 2 posts.

flyboyx - if you PM me your email address, I can send the photos to you so you can edit your original posts and get the pics showing again.
                              Can I PM you my email address for the pictures, or perhaps you could upload them here? Bumping this thread as it seems to be the best go-to for detailed information on the hydroboost setup.

Comment

Yeah, just PM me your email address. I've already sent the pics to several people.

I was hoping to hear from flyboyx so he could re-post them in the first post of this thread. Haven't heard from him yet. Maybe I can copy his text and repost with the pics.

Originally posted by butters View Post
                                Can I PM you my email address for the pictures, or perhaps you could upload them here? Bumping this thread as it seems to be the best go-to for detailed information on the hydroboost setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X