First E30 and first Convertible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First E30 and first Convertible!

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for a while whilst shopping for a decent car to buy. I've learned a lot from the forums here and have many a DIY bookmarked that I'll be attempting soon. This will be probably about the 6th BMW in my family and I've personally owned a 1987 BMW 535is and a 1995 318is prior to this. I have some wrench time, but for some of the more major operations this will also be a learning experience for me. But that's actually kind of the part I'm excited about, I'm looking forward to learning how to work on more than just the basics.

This is what I got:

(I'll take better pics when time permits)

1992 325i cabrio. AlpineWeissII with Indigo interior and top. Manual transmission of course. The guy originally wanted $3000 and I talked him down to $1500 after rattling off all the stuff I'd have to do to it, which I felt was a fair price and gives me about $800 left to start fixing stuff right off the bat. Also, It's got 196k on the clock and the ODO actually appears to work (for now anyway).

The paint is surprisingly good for having been an AZ car it's whole life. Someone must have loved it at some point. The front seats aren't horrible and the rear seats and side panels were recently redone. The guy I bought the car from referred me to the guy who did it and apparently he still has the material to do the fronts. The dash is absolutely freaking perfect, I'll get a picture of it, because even I couldn't believe it. Also, the AC not only works, but is actually really cold. It's one of the reasons I bought the thing, I've never been in an e30 with a working AC.

First off, does anyone know the part number for that trim piece missing there on the right side below the door but above the rocker panel? I hate missing trim pieces.

Also, are there any DIY/info on fixing a side rear window that won't go back up? I can't find it in the Bentley and every thread I've found on it seems to get no love. If this too, gets no love, I guess I'll tear into it myself and hopefully be able to share something worthwhile.

On to the gritty bits, first thing I'm doing is the timing belt and water pump, especially since the guy who owned it hasn't changed them in three years. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm not the type to take chances. I already ordered the parts from Pelican, and will hopefully get here in time to do it this weekend.

Also, power steering is nearly out, was the issue always the steering rack or might it also be something else? There's some play in the steering wheel (moving laterally side to side, not rotation) and it squeals like a bacon farm. But for the time being, I can totally live with manual steering, I gets bigger muscles and its like a race car, or something.

Also, it looks like the rear main seal is just beginning to leak, there's some oil on the bottom of the bellhousing but it's not dripping. Of the cheaper end E30's I've been looking at, it was the best off (I've seen some things, man). But I supposed it will have to do for now, because...

Finally, the most pressing issue, it failed emissions. I found out after the fact that the guy had it registered in a part of AZ where apparently they don't require emissions(?!). I didn't know this and assumed since it was registered it must have passed emissions (thought it was a state law). I was kind of pissed (mostly at myself) since passing emissions is seemingly always tricky/random, but at least I'll get to learn shit (at least that's what I keep telling myself). I'm currently sorting through the some-odd million emissions threads trying to find a similar situation. If anyone reads this, I'm in Arizona and I only failed on hydrocarbons. I know it's a gas failing to burn issue/misfire. The idle it isn't completely smooth, which makes me think it may be an air/fuel thing if the two are related. I'm gonna check spark plugs and ignition stuff tomorrow when I have time. I'm hoping and praying to whatever deity will help me that it's not the cat or something horrendously budget consuming right now.

Anyway, I hope all that wasn't too long but I like to be thorough :D. I'm glad to be an E30 owner and thank you guys for being such an amazing source of information. Looking forward to contributing in the future.
    1992 325ic, Alpine over Indigo.

Welcome, & nice cabrio!

Comment

Seems like every e30 is missing the front lip when people buy it

Nice find though!
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
      '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Very nice! I'm excited myself as I'm going to look at a vert today.
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

you couldnt have started with a better starting point IMO :mrgreen:
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Welcome OP! Looks like a rly good starter!

1.RealOEM for all your part number needs.
            2. Window can be as simple as a faulty switch, check it out.
            3. Check your power steering pump belt, flush your fluid, & check your rack boots for fluid. Lateral movement should be checked out by removing the knee bolsters and looking for play.
            4. Adjust your valves while doing tb/wp.
            5. Rear main seal requires removing the tranny & flywheel. I'd hold off for now until you have the desire to replace your trans seals.
            6. New spark plugs & make sure they're all firing (potential replacement of cap, rotor, wires), check for intake leaks, ideally do a smoke test. Could also be a bad cat.
            7. R3v and Bentley manual are your new BFFs, there's a PDF copy on here somewhere.
            8. Grow a thick skin here, were all one big family but we'll kick you so dont take it personal.
            Once again, Welcome.

Comment

What an excellent first E30. I remember I was initially looking into an E30 cab and I passed it up. 2 years later, I bought my sedan. It's a great car, but E30 cabrios have always done it for me. Welcome!
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Thanks everyone! Also, thanks for moving it to the proper area, wasn't sure where to post at first.

Cabb, thanks especially for all of that! Going to start working on it this weekend.

M3Troy, I was reading your build thread right before I went to check out the car I have to say it really influenced me wanting a vert haha.

Comment

welcome..nice start
                  sigpic

Comment

I predict it will be slammed within 8 weeks!

Love my cabby, it's really a joy to drive.

As for cat converter, at least you are not in Calif. where you have to have a more expensive CA specific cat if that's what your emission failure point is.

Do you still have your e28? I have a e28 535i and despite it's dilapidated condition it is still a great car.

Comment

Nice looking car. I just picked up a white vert myself a few months ago..
                      1988 325i Vert
                      1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

@MoreMayhem - As soon as I get all the maintenance done the first thing I do with extra money is a drop and the front seats! I wish I still had my e28, I sold it about 10 years ago when I started my undergrad. What I wouldn't give to have it back though, I'm always looking for a replacement.

As an update on the rear side window situation, it was just the switch! I followed this guide over at BimmerForums. Now it works great!

Comment

Nice start in the e30 world!

As for emissions, at 196k it's probably your cat.
                          Originally posted by codyep3
                          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                          2010 F650gs twin
                          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Very nice...welcome
                            '89 325i 5-speed, 2 door, lowered.....many mods soon to come

Comment

Very nice. And an excellent find at that price. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X