No announcement yet.

First E30 and first Convertible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some better shots of the car. Hoping for a good wash, wax, and polish this weekend weather permitting:

Check out that dash!

Recently painted the grills, new shift knob and emblems should be here tomorrow, along with the water pump and hopefully the timing belt. Also ordered a duplicate key with the light so I can do the LED mod.

Still need to get some trim pieces, but that will come after I figure out how to pass emissions!
    1992 325ic, Alpine over Indigo.

Comment

Keep that dash moisturized!! Looks cool

Comment

Your cab looks very much like mine. I've had mine 4 years now and it's been a delight for me. Good luck!

Comment

Looks great man ! I've got a set of those plastic rocker trims if your looking
          -His-
          87 e30 325i
          87 e24 m6
          05 e83 x3
          94 e32 740i 5spd
          -Hers-
          89 e30 325i
          18 f48 x1

Comment

Hendrix - Thanks! I only need the right side, how much are you looking to get for it?

Comment

congrats! You got a steal on a that vert.

just picked up an 89 for myself - first clean it up well and take care of the maintenance. Mine is still leaking some oil but it does have 300k.
              91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
              ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Update - been at work on the car on and off for the past week or so, here's the things I've done so far:

Timing Belt/Tensioner
                Water Pump
                Cam Seal/O-ring/Flange
                Valve Cover Gasket/Plugs
                Oil Change
                Coolant Flush
                Odometer Gears (Garagistic!)
                Instrument Cluster Lights
                Oxygen Sensor (Ford 4 wire splice!)
                Spark Plug Wires
                Spark Plugs
                Distributor Cap/Rotor
                Adjusted Valves
                Intake Boot
                Glove Box Latch
                Fan Shroud
                Thermostat
                Coolant Temp Sensor
                Emblems
                Shift Knob

After doing the ignition components, new intake boot, o2 sensor, and valve adjust, the car passed emissions like a champ! I was actually just kind of surprised it actually ran well after I put it back together although it still sounds like there's a bit too much valve chatter in cylinders 1&2. Still has a ton of rattles and suspension work will come after the next thing, which is...

My steering rack, it's definitely toast. The passenger side tie rod boot no longer seals and sprays ATF all over the tie rod and control arm. I'll probably just wind up going with a rebuilt e30 rack since this is more of a cruiser than a racecar.

Also, my radio code works! So nice to have tunes in the car since it's going to be a while before a proper stereo goes in.

Gonna have it detailed soon soon after I get some touch up paint, my GF got me a certificate for my bday. Also bought the passenger side rocker trim and the manual top conversion parts from Manpie that will be going in as soon as I get them.

Some random pics from working:

New Timing Belt and Water Pump

It's amazing how much you can accomplish with the standard tool kit. The adjustable pliers actually got my fan clutch nut off!

New Garagistic gears, working excellently.

I might get hate, but no more Check panel instrument light. Instead I put the bulb on the side of instrument panel where there currently wasn't one.

Also, does anyone know what these things plug in to? Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

They're hanging beneath driver's side front bumper. They appear to go up into the headlight area but I can't find anywhere it might plug into.

Not the vent hose, but the plug. It's coming out of the bottom of the fuse box, and for some reason was routed underneath the side area and was mangled with the coolant vent hose

Finally, this plug is coming out of the wiring harness near the fuse box and was dangling near the brake/clutch fluid reservoir.

It should be pretty obvious at this point the car has spent it's entire life here in the desert, a lot of things are cracked and look like hell.

Also, do these still exist? I really want one for some reason.
                Last edited by davesmystery; 08-14-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I have a 1991 325i cab - same color/interior as yours. Though mine is an automatic...otherwise almost a twin! I've had mine since the end of May. It's my first BMW and love it!
                  1991 325i Cabrio
                  sigpic

Comment

Very nice car! Im a sucker for alpines and Im biased since I have a late vert.

Comment

We are literally twinses. You have a 5 speed though. :)

Comment

Glad to hear there are a lot of alpine and indigo verts running around. Manpie, thanks again for the parts! I'll post pics once I get the manual set up installed.

Comment

Originally posted by davesmystery View Post

Finally, this plug is coming out of the wiring harness near the fuse box and was dangling near the brake/clutch fluid reservoir.

It should be pretty obvious at this point the car has spent it's entire life here in the desert, a lot of things are cracked and look like hell.

Also, do these still exist? I really want one for some reason.
                          I will like to know what its for too. That cover is interesting. 1st time ever seeing that.

Comment

I also see in that picture some text about converting a manual convertible top to electric. Never heard of that either. What is that picture from?

Comment

You would think verbs would get cracked dashes the easiest but out of all the Craigslist ones i went to check out they were all perfect! Maybe BMW put a special material in the vert models ;D

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

GT BMW E30 - let me know if you find anything out about it by any chance. It's a bit unnerving having random plugs dangling around your engine bay.

MoreMayhem - I laughed when I saw that conversion kit, considering most powertop guys switch theirs back to manual. It's from the 1992 BMW accessory catalog. My car came with one in the glove box, it has all sorts of cool stuff they don't sell anymore.

KIRIEIW - I've noticed a similar occurrence... I can't explain it either haha, but I'm definitely happy mine is perfect. I keep sun shades in that thing 24/7.

Comment

Working...
                                X