Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I came back to R3v after years away to say one thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    and that would be unwilling
    great post, excellent contribution

Comment

repeal and replace obamacare, because it has obviously cut everyone's healthcare premiums by $2500 annually and resulted in lower healthcare costs
      Although I think it may have been a step in the right direction it certainly costs me more, as I was paying $0 before, and now am paying whatever the penalty is in April. But seriously, I'd be willing to pay more for actual universal coverage as those folks who are on medicare are getting shafted badly in actual useful healthcare and I'd be happy to do something more to help them out.

Comment

economic studies also show nearly all corporate taxes are paid by you and me in the form of higher priced goods and services.
        This is not entirely concrete. The consumer sets the ultimate price of a good or service. Problem is that so many consumers are pussies and are unwilling to do without a service to prevent companies for jacking up pricing. It's called voting with your wallet.

As a for instance, my wife and I LOVED 50pc nugget meals from McDonald's. And yes, I know at our age we should have outgrown junkfood like that long ago. Neither of us is overweight so we enjoy them. Anyway, McDonald's lowered the count to 40pcs and upped the price slightly. We didn't have a nugget meal for over a year.

In another, we haven't had a cable service in over 3 years. We were tired of paying $1300/yr for a service that then forced ads upon us. And other reasons as well... hating the monopolies in the telecom industries, telecom companies not upgrading infrastructure, etc.

Unfortunately, most consumers just pay whatever a company asks... including (most likely) a majority portion of the corporate taxes. Just ask Apple's customers. Those sheep buy anything that company puts out for any price they ask. And they make good products, but ask way too much for them... because they can.

But, the main reason the product cost issue due to corporate tax doesn't really float with me is that those costs are more heavily influenced by the amount of money companies spend on lobbying, advertising, and compensation for the BOD's. Now, I am not saying corporate taxes don't play a part... just that they are not playing as big a part as many would have you believe. I'll see if I can find some statistics to support my hypothesis and I'll edit later. Now, I am talking major/large corporations, the type that would merge and "move" over seas... not small companies. Taxes on small companies and businesses should be low to stimulate that kind of growth.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Although I think it may have been a step in the right direction it certainly costs me more, as I was paying $0 before, and now am paying whatever the penalty is in April. But seriously, I'd be willing to pay more for actual universal coverage as those folks who are on medicare are getting shafted badly in actual useful healthcare and I'd be happy to do something more to help them out.
          And of course, "repeal ACA" isn't much of a plan at all when you don't have anything to put in it's place. It's not like healthcare costs and premiums were going down prior to implementation of ACA.

Comment

As long as we still have the freedom to own and mod e30s, how bad off are we really?
            1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
            1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
            E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
              And of course, "repeal ACA" isn't much of a plan at all when you don't have anything to put in it's place. It's not like healthcare costs and premiums were going down prior to implementation of ACA.
              You are aware that's why the aca was set up like it was, so it would fail, and a single payer system would have to be created al-LA the va/Medicare too replace it as the "logical next step" or only real solution. While employer based private hci would not go away, it would likely lead to heavy taxation of the now not "needed" fringe benifit. To help fund that single payer system
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

The Republicans already came up with a plan... it's Obamacare. The ACA is largely similar to their plans in the early 90's and almost identical to Romneycare. Soooo... I'm not sure why they are making such a big deal of the ACA as it usually ends up with egg on their face.

I pay slightly more (~$20/mo) through my wife's employer plans. I can live with that. Eventually, as more of the country is covered, costs are SUPPOSED to go down... assuming the insurers don't f^ck us all in the ass with unrealistic/contrived premiums and all of the states get on board.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Then you can help them out. Do not force another to do the same.
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    You are aware that's why the aca was set up like it was, so it would fail, and a single payer system would have to be created al-LA the va/Medicare too replace it as the "logical next step" or only real solution. While employer based private hci would not go away, it would likely lead to heavy taxation of the now not "needed" fringe benifit. To help fund that single payer system
                    yeah, that's been speculated by many people. there's no real evidence of it and you have to remember that ACA has not been failing due to its own merits--it's been undermined at every opportunity by republicans in congress

medicare delivers very high quality care for the elderly who are in the most expensive phase (from a healthcare perspective) of their lives. it's probably the most reasonable way to get to single payer healthcare.

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                    The Republicans already came up with a plan... it's Obamacare. The ACA is largely similar to their plans in the early 90's and almost identical to Romneycare. Soooo... I'm not sure why they are making such a big deal of the ACA as it usually ends up with egg on their face.
                    It's similar to romneycare but not entirely fair to call it a republican plan when they are 100% uninterested in improving health care access or prices.

Comment

yyou have to remember that ACA has not been failing due to its own merits--it's been undermined at every opportunity by republicans in congress
                      you have not been paying attention
                      ask the health insurers about how profitable its been to participate in the ACA
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It's similar to romneycare but not entirely fair to call it a republican plan when they are 100% uninterested in improving health care access or prices.
                        there have been many proposals from the right side, insurance over state lines, take your plan with you etc, health care savings accounts, get the consumer's skin in the game where the price for a procedure actually means something more than a $25 copay
                        Last edited by gwb72tii; 11-03-2016, 10:19 AM.
                        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

you have not been paying attention
                          ask the health insurers about how profitable its been to participate in the ACA
                          how do i ask a health insurer? is there a 1800 number to call and ask a health insurer for their profits?

is it asking too much for you to provide any factual information to back your own assertions? you're the definition of intellectually lazy

here's a good example of how profit isn't the only reason that some of these providers are removing themselves from the state exchanges:

Aetna Inc. told Justice Department antitrust officials in a letter early last month that if they sued to block its deal to acquire Humana Inc., it would immediately reduce its presence on the Affordable Care Act health-insurance exchanges and cancel a planned expansion.

The public emergence of the bluntly worded letter, from Aetna’s Chief Executive Mark T. Bertolini, has led critics to question the motives behind the insurance company’s recently disclosed pullback from the insurance exchanges. It also has added a layer to a broader debate over the causes and cures for the red ink the exchanges are generating for insurers.

Comment

you asserted that the ACA is failing only because of republicans, not on its own merits.
                            google "insurance companies leaving the ACA" and you'll find plenty of information about the losses incurred by the same insurance companies that helped design the ACA because of the preponderance of sick unhealthy people enrolling instead of all you healthy youngsters that choose to pay the penalty (oops i mean tax as defined by Chief Justice Roberts)

do your own homework

EDIT
                            something ripped out of today's headlines

Last edited by gwb72tii; 11-03-2016, 11:47 AM.
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

you asserted that the ACA is failing only because of republicans, not on its own merits.
                              google "insurance companies leaving the ACA" and you'll find plenty of information about the losses incurred by the same insurance companies that helped design the ACA because of the preponderance of sick unhealthy people enrolling instead of all you healthy youngsters that choose to pay the penalty (oops i mean tax as defined by Chief Justice Roberts)

do your own homework

EDIT
                              something ripped out of today's headlines

http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...care/93162570/
                              from your own article:

Anthem expects to make a slight profit in the Obamacare exchanges in 2017. But the company is hoping to see changes made to the law and how it is regulated that could improve its margins.
                              Still projected to make a profit in 2017 but it's just not enough

I'm more than willing to concede that ACA is a failure in most respects and would fail on it's own but don't pretend that republicans aren't actively undermining it at every opportunity.

60+ votes to repeal but no effort to replace it with anything

refusal of multiple states to establish sate insurance exchanges

refusal of several states to extend medicare for sick citizens

and from the article about humana i posted earlier you can see these companies are willing to pull out of the market for reasons other than profit.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                                Then you can help them out. Do not force another to do the same.
                                Maybe you don't quite get how it works, but a society should exist for the betterment of all, and one person can't make that happen. So, as a consequence, everyone should (or must when legislated) chip in.

It's also worth remembering that you, me, and every other voter makes whatever laws exist more or less happen with our votes for representatives, even if the representative you voted for is on the losing side of whatever is passed by the legislative body..

Comment

Working...
                                X