Homemade Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Intake

has anyone made their own heatshield? and if so what kind of sheet metal/insulator? all the 26 gauge zinc stuff i was lookin at absorbs heat. also, where has anyone gotten the intake adapter for a cone filter (besides ebay)?

you get what you pay for, i tried the ebay one BULLLLLL SHIT!
    the cosmos racing one on there is good, i had it on my first m42. but now i have the bav auto one.

i personally like the one that someone here made with the fast food trays!
    but thats just me.

Comment

yeah the bav auto is nice but soooo overpriced. you can go to advance and get a K&N for $45..and im guessing $5-10 for an adapter(SOMEWHERE) and then rig up your own support system and not spend $150

Comment

you can get one from lukas. or make one from food trays...

Originally posted by DBcooperM12
        when i grow up, i hope to be a superamazinasian....like dom.

Comment

i made my own from 1/8th in. ABS plastic. worked pretty darn well. My new car has an ABS one as well. As far as an adapter, just get one on Ebay, its just an adapter.........

Kyle
          1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
          DILLIGAF

Comment

or keep the stock intake and not loose power O_o
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

but the soundz is amazing!!!!
              1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
              DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by dom View Post
                you can get one from lukas. or make one from food trays...
                Does lukas still make them?? his site hasnt been updated in like 2 years and he doesnt answer emails...
                e30sport.net
                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

here's mine, 1/16 aluminum if i remember correctly; aluminum apparently reflects heat better than other materials that just absorb them.
                  'Help us Bill Nye the science guy!'
                  i just have to silicone my rubber insulation things on better; but tons of room to breath

Comment

I don't know if its just me but the stock box with a k&n should be just fine. Even with that heat sheld Im not sure you will see more then a couple hp in gain thats just my opinion. your best bet would be to fab it to get right in the front off the car like the light delete CAI, at least then you would be getting direct "cold" air which would help with performance.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by bimmer8604 View Post
                      i made my own from 1/8th in. ABS plastic. worked pretty darn well. My new car has an ABS one as well. As far as an adapter, just get one on Ebay, its just an adapter.........

Kyle

buy it, and see why its just an adapter. if you do go ebay, get the cosmos racing one...
                      long story short. my adapter took some rtv to seal up the gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604 View Post

Kyle
                        where did you buy the abs plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by micahbertoli View Post
                          here's mine, 1/16 aluminum if i remember correctly; aluminum apparently reflects heat better than other materials that just absorb them.
                          'Help us Bill Nye the science guy!'
                          i just have to silicone my rubber insulation things on better; but tons of room to breath
                          Yeah mine is aluminium too...mainly because it is easy to work with - but doesn't act as a heat soak - aways cool to the touch

Comment

oh so nice and neat!

i made mine from carboard and painted it black.....supposed to be a mock-up, bt i never really changed it cause double corrugated recycled works well as a heat shield.

then i went turbo. bye bye cardboard, hello boost.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

I'm using the stock airbox and I think it's pretty well designed actually. When I bought mine, the little horn piece on the front was just lying unconnected behind the headlight assembly. I can't figure out how to affix it correctly, it just doesn't seem to want to snap on there right. Does the horn thing really help that much?

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Working...
                              X