Getrag 260 install after motor install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 install after motor install help

Hey everyone so i finally got my motor into the car, but didnt put the tranny in with it because of no clutch alignment tool :(

So any help/advice would be great

Late model coupe with getrag 260 5spd

How hard is it?
    Pain in the ass?

Thanks, rob
    1989 325IS 2.8L *SOLD*
    1988 325IS *DAILY*
    Old Build - My 89 325is head first dive

It's doable. Loosen the motor mounts and use a jack on the pan (with a 2x4 between) to tilt the motor back as far as it goes.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Should have waited to drop the motor in, it's a huge pain in the ass with no lift.

I dropped the front subframe. those top bolts are a pain in the nuts. my only advice, be patient and have someone there to help, because lifting it on your own, and getting it lined up then pushing it on by yourself will be strenuous if you are doing it like I did laying on your back with the car 2 foot off the ground.

90 325is alpine2 m50b25 becoming a dorifto car.

Comment

protip: lube your transmission's input shaft tip.

it's also not that terrible to press it up there if all your stuff is lined up allright, but the top bolts suck thoroughly.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Hmmm thanks for the response guys. I could always drop the subframe i guess.... and i have access to a hoist, i just didnt have a clutch alignment tool today to do it and was anxious... if the autozone has one ill use it i guess and re pull the motor tomorrow
          1989 325IS 2.8L *SOLD*
          1988 325IS *DAILY*

Comment

Well for the past 3 hours i went in the garage spent 3 hours in there lining up my clutch and test fitting the tranny, after about an hour of that finally got it right and torqued it all down. then had a bit of trouble putting in tranny/motor back into car, now the passenger side mount is in, but i do not have enough energy to go under and pull the driveshaft out so i can get the driver side mount in. Output shaft on tranny needs to be lined up with driveshaft and i need a second person to do that so ill finish it up tomorrow after work..

cant believe im doing all this by myself haha wow im tired
            1989 325IS 2.8L *SOLD*
            1988 325IS *DAILY*

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              protip: lube your transmission's input shaft tip.

it's also not that terrible to press it up there if all your stuff is lined up allright, but the top bolts suck thoroughly.
              Just the tip though for the pilot bearing, don't wanna grease the input shaft splines themselves or they will throw grease all over your clutch. Just puting it out there as a warning.
              Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
              Bimmerbuddies LLC
              717-388-1256
              2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
              bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X