Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest place to get a rebuilt/reman drive shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest place to get a rebuilt/reman drive shaft?

Turns out my u-joints are done for. I was quoted $450 for a rebuilt drive shaft from a local shop. Looked briefly online and didn't find anything for much cheaper. Do these things really cost this much, or am I just looking in the wrong places?
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

Depends, I seen more chevy and nissan u-jointed E30 driveshafts and failed MTC center-bearings than I'd like to think about.

There might be cheaper options, just make sure they're doing it right.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

That seems to be the general going rate for a rebuilt and rebalanced driveshaft.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Driveline Service of Portland (OR) have always been good to me. They are about $400 though.

Comment

I was quoted $350 by a local reputable shop (Oliver's Driveshafts and Axles in Winston-Salem NC)
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Thats about the right price. Just recently purchased a rebuilt DS from Driveline Service of Portland for $400 + Core Charge. They are reputable here on the forums and no complaints here whatsoever and great customer service. My car is back on the road running smoothly now. Also comes with a 1 year warranty as well.

Comment

Originally posted by - jay View Post
              They are reputable here on the forums and no complaints here whatsoever and great customer service.
              I've seen a couple recently come from there with nissan u-joints shoved in. and a couple who've ended up with MTC/URO center bearings. Good to hear their customer service is good. As mentioned before, be very clear what you want and what you are expecting.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I ended up just going with the local shop. They weren't very clear about the core so I ended up paying $470 after the core, not before, but I guess the convenience is worth something. They aren't the Nissan u-joints, so I guess that's a plus.
                What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
                90 325ix

Comment

Working...
                X