New drive shaft, new vibration at highway speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New drive shaft, new vibration at highway speeds

I replaced my drive shaft with a refurbished unit, along with the CSB that came with it and a new guibo and transmission mounts. I also put a different differential in that didn't seem to have any issues in the car it came from. I did not replace the differential bushing. I drove it 200+ miles to Maryland and back on the day I got it back together. I had zero issues until last night, when I noticed a vibration through my seat at around 60 mph. It only happens under load. As soon as I let off the gas, it goes away. Taking it out of gear or putting the clutch in makes it go away too. If I set cruise at 60 (or above,) the vibration is there. I did make sure to preload the CSB. I did NOT adjust the length of the drive shaft because it seemed to fit fine. This is the only thing I am unsure about as far as the installation. I double checked almost everything else today under the car. I have seen several threads describing something like this, none of which ended with a definite solution. I'm pretty sure my rear subframe bushings are shot, which could be changing the angle a little bit under load and when I let off. That is really the only other lead I have at this point.
    Last edited by e30jake; 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM.
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

Bump, getting under the car again tomorrow to re-torque/reinstall some things. Any ideas?

90 325ix

Comment

Check brand of CSP, have had batches of poor rubber in all brands (who are just repackaging the same thing) except Febi and OEM. Did you double check the u-joints on the "refurbished" shaft?

And.... shot it the dark ... Differential out of fluid?
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Id check for play in the drive shaft. In one case one of my e30s had a bad output shaft connecting to the driveline
        Originally posted by blunttech
        r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

No play in the drive shaft. I did check the u-joints on the new shaft as well, and they were nice and smooth. It seems I may have preloaded the CSB too much. I backed it off a little bit and it seemed to go away for the most part. There is still a slight vibration, but the window is smaller and it isn't as harsh. Updates to come.

90 325ix

Comment

Working...
          X