Starting problems, any idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After parking my car overnight the past couple of days I have had a really hard time getting it to start. The symptoms are, I get in the car and turn the key and it just clicks. After taking the key out and putting it back in to turn the ignition a few times then it will start. Today took the longest to start but once it's up and running I can turn car off and it starts up the first time. This is only a problem after it sits for more than 6 hours. The car is a s50 swap car, I'm in NYC and it's been snowing a lot lately and I've been driving in the mess. Could this be my starter going bad? Or is it freezing overnight? Could this be fixed or should I buy a new one? Should I look at something else like the ignition switch going bad? I really don't know why this happens.
    sigpic

Nobody?
    sigpic

Comment

Things to look at first: starter, ignition switch, battery.

Comment

If you can hear the starter relay clicking every time you turn the key then it's most likely not the ignition switch. Make sure the battery's good (put a meter on it and watch the voltage drop while someone cranks it. Not exactly the best way to test for a bad battery, but if it drops below 9-10V then it's probably the battery) and if it's not the battery then it's probably the starter. Before you just buy a new one though Autozone and other parts stores will test the starter -or- battery for free.

Comment

Battery is brand new got it one month ago so it's prob the starter going bad?
          sigpic

Comment

bad ground, loose connection, and cold weather kills CCA on a battery. if you bought a crap battery from walmart i wouldn't hesitate to test it. ive seen new batteries fail before.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbag30 View Post
              bad ground, loose connection, and cold weather kills CCA on a battery. if you bought a crap battery from walmart i wouldn't hesitate to test it. ive seen new batteries fail before.

I'm thinking it may be a rotten ground strap to the starter, or the ignition switch because I have a brand new battery from autozone and the power is there, I replaced the battery because of the cold killing the charge. And if it was the battery shouldn't I need to jump start the car? Also wouldn't it just crank underpowered or rapidly click? And that doesn't happen. Now sometimes when I stop the car I have to turn the ignition a couple of times b4 it will start and no click when key turns without a start
              sigpic

Comment

yes i guess if it was the battery it wouldnt end up starting at all. try cleaning up the ground.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Replaced starter problem solved
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X