Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock heater stays on

Hey gang,

has anyone ever experience this, that's if you have this option in your car?
    most cars that came to Canada had this option.

I've changed the resistor around the lock cylinder thinking it might be a faulty ground and also changed the micro switch.

what is happening is when I lift the door handle it triggers a micro switch to send 12v to a resistor that surrounds the lock cylinder to warm it up. But the resistor stays on causing the wiring to get really hot. I know this is supposed to go off.

Could someone tell me what could the possible problem be. I've done an online search and the possibility could be in the A pillar. but my connections inside all see to be fine.

replaced: resistor, mictro switch/wiring and still getting same results of overheating.

what have I missed? is there something on the handle part that could be faulty. I see a black box that is part of the handle assembly inside.

any help would be appreciated.
    sigpic

I had a parasitic draw that kept killing my battery a few years ago. I somehow traced it to the heated door locks and I disconnected it. Now everything works and it cost me nothing. Since I only drive it in the summer it was totally unnecessary to repair it properly or replace parts.
    sigpic
    1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

yeah I know that's the easy way out...I had done that already before. :-)
      sigpic

Comment

I'll take a look tomorrow behind the door card for you
        Last edited by Sea Aych; 05-21-2015, 06:24 PM.
        1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
        1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
        1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
        My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
          I'll take a look tomorrow behind the door card for you
          My door innards look like they've been shredded by one of the many POs - there's nothing there. Sorry man :(
          Unsurprising though - you've seen my car haha
          1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
          1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
          1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
          My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

looks like the timer module (lock heater control unit) is bad,should time out at 5.5 ,17 or 31 seconds depending on outside temp
            Attached Files
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

update: yup definitely the timer module. I swapped another one in but I get nothing so until I feel the need to drop coin on another it will remain inoperable. Guess it defeats the purpose at this stage of a e30's life to have a door lock heater.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X