1.9 shifter in early model carrier help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.9 shifter in early model carrier help

Hey guys, trying to figure this out as soon as I can: I'm installing a 1.9 shifter in my early model with the sheet metal platform. My issue (and I'm learning this is a problem in general with earlies) is that the pivot ball is too big to fit the upper bushing – the early levers were 2 piece and from later ones are 1 piece.

I've read that others have just sliced the bushing to get it over the ball (per this guide and this thread)

Is it not bad to cut the bushing in half? Can I do this and just glue it back together or something? It seems like others are just cutting it and leaving it as is, but I'd like to know for sure before cutting it in half lol. Thanks

From the guide I posted above:

Can't you just take the shifter apart? Or am I remembering something else....

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The stock '86 shifter yes, but not the 1.9. I believe all BMW shift levers were one-piece starting '87.

Comment

I cut the bushing and reassembled the same as the original shifter. Didn't glue it back together either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
        sigpic

Comment

That's what I figured I had to do. Got the bushing cut with piano wire to make the slice as thin as possible and so far it feels great, especially with the zhp and a new boot. I'll have to post a before/after picture.

Comment

Working...
          X