Does e30 driveshafts need balancing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does e30 driveshafts need balancing?

Hey, I got a different t driveshaft for my car. It was from an 325i. It looks like it has balancing weights welded on it. I disconnected the two parts from each other but didnt mark it or anything. Wondering if I need to get it balanced or I can just put it in however I want and it doesn't matter. thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It will matter. You can only put it back together correct 2 ways though. The yokes on each end just need to line up. You might look closely though and see if there are any center punch marks or anything that show how it should line up.
    Last edited by AndrewBird; 12-25-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I took a look a while ago and didn't see anything.. so I'm not sure. Interesting how bmw didnt make any markings if it's actually important..

Comment

Generally you would mark it before pulling it off the car. There isn't a need to mark it if it's in the car.

Comment

I know but when I bought it, it was already off the car. Not much I could do there..

Comment

Right. The guy who pulled it should have marked it.

Comment

Don't think he cared much.. point is I'm stuck and need to know if there's a way I can align it myself property or I need to take it to a driveline place.. (which I don't really want to spend money on)
              Any help is appreciated.

Comment

If you line up the yokes there's a 50/50 chance it will be balanced. Worse case you flip one end 180 degrees and it should be fine as long as it hasn't thrown a weight. Otherwise just pay a shop to balance it...if you can find a good one

Ps it doesn't have to be on the car to mark it...just has to be (or should have been) before you pull it apart
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

alright, yes i think i figured it out, thanks everyone.

Comment

There are 2 white dot marks on each half shaft. check to see if it is still there.
                    sigpic
                    327is
                    325es
                    325es
                    318is
                    Fiesta ST
                    E46 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X