X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 clutch change

Hello
    I just put my car in the garage so I can work on it over the winter
    was looking around and found that the transmission was accessible from the engine bay, or at least the two bolts that are hard to reach on top. Or that wasnt the tranny :o
    with that said is it easier to replace the clutch on an m42 equipped car?
    thanks
    Attached Files

All of the bolts are fairly easy to get to on M42 cars if you have short sockets, and for this task the HF sockets are just fine. Remember, in a pinch a 12pt socket/wrench of the appropriate size also fits the bolts, but only do that if you absolutely must.

As to changing the clutch, it's no more difficult than any other E30, but the whole job is slightly easier because of the lighter transmission.

Comment

thank you

Comment

It's WAY easier to do the clutch on an M42 than on an M20. Same for the starter. A 12-point wrench with a little leverage will easily take those top bolts out on an M42, with the M20 you're screwed, gotta go at it from behind. Same with the starter. I've had the transmission off of my M42 3 times in the past year, I have it down to a science now, still not fun but not as bad as it could be.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Words from the wise young op:

DO NOT use a 12 point socket on the torx heads. If they are slightly worn already you will likely round them off and have to cut the bolts off. If you must use a standard socket try and use a 5 point style as they are much less likely to strip off the head.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
          X