Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch install, any while you're in there parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch install, any while you're in there parts?

Hey guys, my clutch is slipping like crazy so I'm going to replace it at some point in the future. I'm going with a sachs kit from FCP that has the alignment tool, clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot & throwout bearing.

I wanted to know if there's any while you're in there parts I should replace, I already want to throw in ssk, but just to make sure I don't miss anything that's easy to access while I'm in there, thanks guys!

My Daily Driven 318is

the dual mass flywheels wear out on these cars with higher miles, and they tend to clunk pretty bad when they do go. If you a performance oriented guy pick up a 7lb RHD engineering flywheel. They are super high quality and arrive fast from the manufacturer only costing $250.

If you havent already a short shifter kit would be icing on the cake while you are in there. Buy a new bitch clip and the delrin rear mount for the shifter carrier arm along with the new shift lever and shifter cup bushing (its white).

If the rear main seal isnt leaking just leave it alone in my opinion.

good luck! redline MTL for your transmission would be a wise idea too

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      the dual mass flywheels wear out on these cars with higher miles, and they tend to clunk pretty bad when they do go. If you a performance oriented guy pick up a 7lb RHD engineering flywheel. They are super high quality and arrive fast from the manufacturer only costing $250.

If you havent already a short shifter kit would be icing on the cake while you are in there. Buy a new bitch clip and the delrin rear mount for the shifter carrier arm along with the new shift lever and shifter cup bushing (its white).

If the rear main seal isnt leaking just leave it alone in my opinion.

good luck! redline MTL for your transmission would be a wise idea too
      I've heard mixed things about a light flywheel for the m42, I live in Florida so I need A/C, but I've heard that with the A/C on during idle it seems to make the engine vibrate like crazy.

For the ssk I'm thinking of using understeer.com since their price is pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if they are still active

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

you should replace the clutch fork pivot pin
        cars beep boop

Comment

^ good call. forgot to mention that! I have a bronze one in mine it was spendy but is a nice piece. SS clutch line too that makes the pedal so hard :) you'll love it hahaha

understeer.com kits just use OE BMW parts. you can order the shift lever you want from ecs tuning or blunttech or anyone that has access to OE BMW parts. the z-3 1.9 lever is a nice OE+ feeling lever. you wont ever look back

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            you should replace the clutch fork pivot pin
            ^ good call. forgot to mention that! I have a bronze one in mine it was spendy but is a nice piece. SS clutch line too that makes the pedal so hard :) you'll love it hahaha

understeer.com kits just use OE BMW parts. you can order the shift lever you want from ecs tuning or blunttech or anyone that has access to OE BMW parts. the z-3 1.9 lever is a nice OE+ feeling lever. you wont ever look back
            Been reading about that as well, I already have the SS line so I'm already enjoying the stiffness lmao

Most places I look at seem to be a bit more expensive then getting it from understeer, but I'll start putting everything together.

So it looks like I have everything for the most part then

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Which stainless lines did you end up going with?

Comment

Originally posted by iPee View Post
                Which stainless lines did you end up going with?
                I got a UUC stainless line

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Originally posted by gespinal0301 View Post
                  I've heard mixed things about a light flywheel for the m42, I live in Florida so I need A/C, but I've heard that with the A/C on during idle it seems to make the engine vibrate like crazy.

For the ssk I'm thinking of using understeer.com since their price is pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if they are still active
                  I'm planning on the M20 flywheel with only a pound or two shaved for clearance - I'm hoping that gets me some of the lightweight benefits without all of the racket. Might be something for you to consider if you still want that kind of upgrade.
                  The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

you can order the shift lever you want from ecs tuning or blunttech or anyone that has access to OE BMW parts. the z-3 1.9 lever is a nice OE+ feeling lever. you wont ever look back
                    I second this! the z3 1.9 lever is the way to go. got mine from garagistic along with new shift bushings, bitch clip, and shift cup. Made it so much tighter.
                    sigpic
                    91' 318is Brilliantrot
                    Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is View Post
                      I'm planning on the M20 flywheel with only a pound or two shaved for clearance - I'm hoping that gets me some of the lightweight benefits without all of the racket. Might be something for you to consider if you still want that kind of upgrade.
                      The more I started reading about flywheels, the more I'm leaning towards a RHD light flywheel lol. They make it seem like having a light flywheel is not that much of an issue and it's slowly convincing me to spend my moneyyyyzzz :devil::devil:

Originally posted by CanadianDirty30 View Post
                      I second this! the z3 1.9 lever is the way to go. got mine from garagistic along with new shift bushings, bitch clip, and shift cup. Made it so much tighter.
                      Right now my shifter just kind of goes in without any complaints, driving my brother's vert that has 50k less miles than mine feels amazing. I'm looking forward to what it feels like when I have the SSK in

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
                      X