No announcement yet.

The Official Transmission Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I got from the first post is, in my situation if I wanted to do a 5spd swap for my 86 eta, the best and least complicated swap would be using an early eta tranny?

late eta and i tranny would require much more modifications beyond the bolts for the late style shift arms correct?
    SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
    IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
    BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

I would just like to add some information about the transmissions and figured this would be a good place to do it.

The "straight selector rod" (10) and "shift rod joint" (13) for the late G260 transmissions are different between <88 and 89<. My car is a 1990 325is Auto (production date 10/89) and I have a G260...1346.91 code on the side from a car with production date 12/88. The straight selector rod that came with the transmission has the arm that connects to the shift rod joint and eventually the transmission which is longer than the arm that connects the shifter to the whole system. I bought a replacement arm for the model year of my car (and not the one which the tranny came with) and it was incorrect. I will try to show this in a picture:

A quick note from the "late late" model linkage, the two "short" arms are identical length, so it will be clear that you have the "early late" model links if the two arms are different lengths at all.

From what I can tell, the shift arm that the "shift rod joint" connects to is identical for the transmissions, so my guess is that you can easily convert the entire linkage if you buy the set of parts I identified in my pictures.

If any of this information is incorrect please let me know so I can correct the post and have all the right information in this thread.
      Last edited by benyen soljax; 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM.
      Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by benyen soljax View Post
        From what I can tell, the shift arm that the "shift rod joint" connects to is identical for the transmissions, so my guess is that you can easily convert the entire linkage if you buy the set of parts I identified in my pictures.

This is correct.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

random question and dont want to make a useless thread so ill ask here.
          does a eta clutch work on a 325i motor?
          the trans is from 86 eta that will be mated to a 90 325is motor.

Comment

i have a 1346.90 tranny on my m42 turbo car and its having issues disengaging. it only seems to happen going from 5th to 4th. new slave cyl. and bled the clutch. still happening. a syncro doesnt make sense because this is the second tranny that has done this. any idea on what this could be? please help.. im getting so discouraged and need to drive the car from wy to ca in a week.

EDIT: Would you believe me if i told you bending the linkage about 4 degrees fixed this?
            Last edited by MF DOOM; 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

going to bump this up because i bought a sachs clutch kit for a 325i for a 90 is motor.
                my dilemma is that i have a e trans that came out a 1986 es, so can i use the e trans with the e throw out bearing with a i flywheel? . my car used to have the dual mass if that makes a difference. any suggestions?

Comment

Bumping this thread for a second opinion. Here's my setup:

1986 325e Bottom End
                  1988 325iX Head
                  Single Mass - Lightened and Balanced Flywheel
                  The Transmission being used is the one original to the car.-"Late" 5sp
                  - The engine that was mated to this transmission was fitted with a Dual Mass FW, and the build dates lead me to believe it's a "Late/Deep" Eta trans. (Build date is 4/87) - Correct me if i'm wrong. I will verify after seperating the Engine and Trans.
                  I installed a 88 325iS Clutch Kit into the car. Sachs. Came with Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, and Throw Out Bearing.

- The car WILL NOT go into gear with the it running and the pedal pushed down to the floor. I'm sure my problem is the 325i Throwout bearing in the Late/Deep Eta Transmission. I'm at work and I have a 323i TOB ready to come home with me. Just wanted to make sure i'm on the right track. I've bled the crap out of the slave with no luck at all. I get firm pedal but only after you've pushed the pedal down about half way and at that point it's a weird kind of stiff.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated and thanks to the OP for putting all this info into one thread. Very useful for me. Hoping to get this car driving before the Picnic!

Thanks for your time.
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                    going to bump this up because i bought a sachs clutch kit for a 325i for a 90 is motor.
                    my dilemma is that i have a e trans that came out a 1986 es, so can i use the e trans with the e throw out bearing with a i flywheel? . my car used to have the dual mass if that makes a difference. any suggestions?
                    Originally posted by kid325e View Post

1986 325e Bottom End
                    1988 325iX Head
                    - The engine that was mated to this transmission was fitted with a Dual Mass FW, and the build dates lead me to believe it's a "Late/Deep" Eta trans. (Build date is 4/87) - Correct me if i'm wrong. I will verify after seperating the Engine and Trans.
                    I installed a 88 325iS Clutch Kit into the car. Sachs. Came with Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, and Throw Out Bearing.

- The car WILL NOT go into gear with the it running and the pedal pushed down to the floor. I'm sure my problem is the 325i Throwout bearing in the Late/Deep Eta Transmission. I'm at work and I have a 323i TOB ready to come home with me. Just wanted to make sure i'm on the right track. I've bled the crap out of the slave with no luck at all. I get firm pedal but only after you've pushed the pedal down about half way and at that point it's a weird kind of stiff.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated and thanks to the OP for putting all this info into one thread. Very useful for me. Hoping to get this car driving before the Picnic!

Thanks for your time.
                    If I am correctly reading this thread, and am correctly understanding the information the OP and others give:
                    both of you have the late ETA deep trans, which originally came with the (thicker than single mass) dual mass flywheel. The only reason this late eta trans had a deeper bellhousing was to accommodate for the thicker(deeper) flywheel.

that being said, if you use a thinner(less deep), single mass flywheel with the (deeper) late eta trans, the thin single mass flywheel would leave a gap where the thicker dual-mass would have been, due to the dual mass being thicker. single mass=thinner. dual mass=thicker.

so, with the double mass flywheel in the late eta trans, you should be able to run the regular throwout bearing for that trans. for the single mass flywheel in the late eta trans, you will need the aforementioned "special" deeper throwout bearing to fill the gap left by the lack of the thicker, dual-clutch flywheel.

I hope this answers both of your questions.
                    '87 325is [because racecar]
                    '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
                    '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

I just bought a trans and parts. I am sure glad I ran into this thread before starting the swap. but, as It had answered questions, it creates more questions. I am Confused about The shifter rod compatibility, and cannot seem to find any info pertaining to this. I have an automatic 87 i car. just picked up an 87 eta trans. On realoem.com, the part #s for the selector rod AND the Shift rod are different between the 325i and 325e. I cannot find any information that tells me the difference between the shift rods (not the selector rod, but the larger, Aluminum rod that actually holds the shifter lever to the trans and car body). Will I need to purchase the shift rod that is meant for my 325is? or can I keep the shift rod that came with the 87eta transmission?

Also note (slightly off topic at this point), I will be putting in a z3 shifter in, if this affects this question at all.

Should I buy an "i" shifter rod and/or selector rod with related parts? or can I keep the eta shift rod and selector rod, and just buy new bushings and related wear parts for the eta car(doner trans)?

thank you to the OP, all who have contributed to this article, and to anyone who may further contribute and/or answer my question.

Comment

sticky!

Comment

Sorry guys, its been a while since I've checked this thread. I'm sure you guys are already up and running but here are my responses:

Originally posted by 87' 325 View Post
                          I got an 87' 325e 5spd I'm trying to put into my 1987 325i. I have the late eta trans.

therefore i have to get the euro 323i throwout bearing, plug the crank sensors, and use the dual mass flywheel? Do i have that right?
                          The point of the euro 323i TOB is to make up the length with the regular flywheel and a deep bellhousing transmission. If you get a dual mass, your stock short TOB will work with a deep bellhousing transmission. Not really sure how it would work with a short bellhousing and dual mass, it may just make the clutch catch at a higher point on the pedal.

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
                          What I got from the first post is, in my situation if I wanted to do a 5spd swap for my 86 eta, the best and least complicated swap would be using an early eta tranny?

late eta and i tranny would require much more modifications beyond the bolts for the late style shift arms correct?
                          Depends on what month your 86 was built in. Really, it depends on the flywheel, whether you have dual mass or single.

random question and dont want to make a useless thread so ill ask here.
                          does a eta clutch work on a 325i motor?
                          the trans is from 86 eta that will be mated to a 90 325is motor.
                          I think the clutch should work if you're using the original flywheel too. I'm not sure on eta to i clutch differences. Someone else should chime in...

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                          i have a 1346.90 tranny on my m42 turbo car and its having issues disengaging. it only seems to happen going from 5th to 4th. new slave cyl. and bled the clutch. still happening. a syncro doesnt make sense because this is the second tranny that has done this. any idea on what this could be? please help.. im getting so discouraged and need to drive the car from wy to ca in a week.

EDIT: Would you believe me if i told you bending the linkage about 4 degrees fixed this?
                          This sounds like its the tranny or motor mounts failing on the passenger side.

Check the #3 of each transmission to see the measurements in the 1st post. This will tell you whether the throw out bearing will work or not.

Originally posted by kid325e View Post

1986 325e Bottom End
                          1988 325iX Head

Thanks for your time.
                          Sounds like the throw out bearing!

Originally posted by wakeboardr42393 View Post
                          I just bought a trans and parts. I am sure glad I ran into this thread before starting the swap. but, as It had answered questions, it creates more questions. I am Confused about The shifter rod compatibility, and cannot seem to find any info pertaining to this. I have an automatic 87 i car. just picked up an 87 eta trans. On realoem.com, the part #s for the selector rod AND the Shift rod are different between the 325i and 325e. I cannot find any information that tells me the difference between the shift rods (not the selector rod, but the larger, Aluminum rod that actually holds the shifter lever to the trans and car body). Will I need to purchase the shift rod that is meant for my 325is? or can I keep the shift rod that came with the 87eta transmission?

Also note (slightly off topic at this point), I will be putting in a z3 shifter in, if this affects this question at all.

Should I buy an "i" shifter rod and/or selector rod with related parts? or can I keep the eta shift rod and selector rod, and just buy new bushings and related wear parts for the eta car(doner trans)?

thank you to the OP, all who have contributed to this article, and to anyone who may further contribute and/or answer my question.
                          Sounds like you will need the aluminum plate to hold the shifter for the earlier stick cars. I'm not positive, but that's what it seems. Make sure you measure the bell housing and if its the deeper of the length, get the euro throw out bearing.

Comment

hi guys. I have a 1987 eta trans with the 6 1/2" bell housing depth to slave mount (i measured it), but it has a dual mass flywheel. I am converting it to a single mass and the single mass clutch/flywheel assembly is thinner than the original dual mass clutch/flywheel assembly. Do i still need the 323i throwout bearing, even though i have the shallow bell housing?

Comment

Originally posted by etagolnik View Post
                              hi guys. I have a 1987 eta trans with the 6 1/2" bell housing depth to slave mount (i measured it), but it has a dual mass flywheel. I am converting it to a single mass and the single mass clutch/flywheel assembly is thinner than the original dual mass clutch/flywheel assembly. Do i still need the 323i throwout bearing, even though i have the shallow bell housing?
                              I am wondering this as well^^^ I have the late eta trans build date 87 with a dual mass setup originally and i am putting it on a m20b25 will i need a 323i TOB even with a 6.5in shallow bell housing??

Comment

The 323 only adds about 3/8" or so, if I recall.

So if the DM stack is 3/8" or so thicker, then you can safely run the 323- and it'd
                                be good insurance.

Measure. That's really the only way to know about this stuff, because
                                things get swapped around. I found a Gripforce where I expected dual mass, for example...

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X